General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help, Discovery 1 wont start, suspect the notorious spider immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, Discovery 1 wont start, suspect the notorious spider immobilizer

I am releuctant to start another thread about the infamous spider immobilizer but I still have not found the answer by reading all the immobilizer threads. Briefly here is the problem, dashboard lights come on, battery fully charged but engine wont crank. Dashboard alarm light was staying on when the ignition switch was turned so I suspect the immobilizer. I tried to disarm the mobilizer using the emergency key access process (eka) but did not work. I wonder if its because I only have the key with no remote. So here are my questions
1. How do you know for sure that the immobilizer is engaged?
2. Is there any way besides the eka process to disengage the immobilizer without towing the vehicle to the dealer?
3. Check engine light is not showing which makes me again suspect the immobilizer
4. Dashboard alarm light is not coming on at all or blinking, what does that mean?
5.if I tear apart my dashboard and discoonect the spider relay or by pass it will the engine start?
6. Does the Discovery 1 even have an immobilizer, one dealer repair tech says no and another said yes
7. Fuel pump circuit seems to be working as you can hear it when the key is turned to crank position