Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Immobilizer by pass when spider box is not present

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Immobilizer by pass when spider box is not present

Alright here we go this may be out there already but from what I have read/found no one has a straight answer. Please read completely before you start and disconnect your batter if you want to I didn't and it still worked.

These are the steps that I took to remove the immobilizer on my 98 disco after reading the wiring diagrams found on this site . ( This only works if you have the non spider immobilizer.) late 96-99 models. If this does not work then you probably have some thing else wrong and the immobilizer is not your issue according to the wiring diagrams I have read. This worked for me and may or may not for you.

1. Look for the green box under the glove box at passenger foot well. It is between the ECM and passenger kick plate that is your security box. If you do not know what it looks like there are many pics of it on this site but for those who don't want to check it is green rectangle with a slopped top on onside.

2. There are two plugs on this box a big one and a small one. The big plug is black and that is for your inputs for the windows locks etc. The small plug is your out puts and the one you will be dealing with (small one) it should be green or white depending on where you are and from the pics I have seen.

3. On the small plug there are two wires that are black with red/orange stripe.( Solid black and red/orange stripe.) Cut these two wires on the loom side only and twist them together. Leave enough wire in case you have to put them back together again. ( This is an immobilizer fix and not an alarm fix.)

4. If you have done this right put your key in and your disco should crank up.

5. If you have the bonging alert noise inside the cab and you ring around the key switch is red the plug for that is above the key switch to get access to the plug you need to remove the plastic form the steering column you will see it as soon as you remove the plastic.( small white one)

I did this last night and my 98 disco that would not crank with out having the key in the on position and taking a screw driver and going across the starter coil will now crank and run by using the key only.

This is a temp. fix to get you going if the immobilizer decides to shut you down for no reason. I'm going to leave mine this way but you can do as you wish.

I do not have a key fob so I can not tell you if the remote door unlock still works. They should still work because all you have done is taken the immobilizer out of the loop.

I also have an spider by pass plug for those TDi's and 95 and back models if any one needs one

I will post pics later if needed.

95 Disco 175,000 miles
98 Disco 150,000 miles
97 Disco 171,000 miles

I would still rather have a Land Rover and B.L problems than own a Ford .

Last edited by 96 rover; 07-18-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: forgot to add my discos
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't remember exactly, but I tried this. Those two wires send power to the fuel pump IIRC. However, that doesn't address the code the alarm unit sends the engine ECU to mobilize it.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Mudding
Default not an alarm fix

The two wires that I cut get the signal from the computer threw the alarm and if it has been set it causes the immobilizer to become active. By doing this it by passes immobilizer and will let you drive your rig home or to repair shop or leave it that way. As I said in the thread this is not an alarm fix but a by pass on the immobilizer to get you going. My red indicator light is still on but my windows work lights and radio and drives fine.

This fix saved my 98 rover from becoming the parts rover and now we will use it more for trails than anything.

The following users liked this post:
ProfGriff (07-28-2021)
Old 07-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Mudding

Check your plugs again and wires this fix comes after weeks of reading wiring and testing and this is how I pulled it off. Not saying your wrong at all I'm just putting this out there because after being stuck in the rain trying to get my disco to move this work. 07/17/2013 Last night.

Brentrhodes (08-23-2017)
Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will only work if the theft alarm has previously been configured to use passive (starter disable) immobilization only. If active immobilization (ECU disable) is configured, your truck may turn over, but not start.

These options can be set with Testbook, Hawkeye or Black Box scan tools. I used the Hawkeye myself.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Mudding

I will post pics this weekend on what I did.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Mudding

Well mine is running right now and driving and being used today.

Northoceanbeach (04-25-2020)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Mudding
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Mudding
Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Mudding
Talking