General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with short circuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with short circuit

I have a '98 Disco LE and I think shorted something out today. Here's what happened....

I pulled my front dome light out to measure it since I'm buying new ones. I put the light bulb back in and heard a pop. When I turned on the Disco, my dome lights, stereo and clock are no longer working.

Here's the kicker...
The clock still comes on when the vehicle is running, but it resets to 1:00 everytime I turn the vehicle off.
Sometimes, and I mean sometimes, when I try to turn the stereo on, the LCD display comes on for a brief (very brief) second then goes blank.

I have checked fuses #3 (stereo) #12 (multi-purpose) #13 (can't remember) and also the one that is labeled for the clock. They all seem fine.

I looked at the circuit fuses under the hood, but none of them are marked. I called the dealership, and they had no clue what I was even talking about.

Any of you know what I'm missing, or can anyone point me in the right direction on what to check next?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured it out. In case anyone encounters this same problem, check your #6 fuse on Satellite #2. (Trailer harness)

I pulled it, it was blown, replaced it, everything works fine and dandy now.