General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hole appeared in the exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:54 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole appeared in the exhaust pipe

I have a Discovery series 2, 2003 build. Half an hour ago while driving i heard a loud "pop" sound and then the engine began so sound like a tractor. Pulling over i openned the bonnet and looked down to where the exhaust pipe leaves the engine. In the pipe between the engine and the first muffler i noticed a hole, perfectly round. It looks like a plug has blown out of the exhaust pipe. I am waiting for the enine to cool down before i get to it.

What is this and how do I do a quick fix to get me through a day or so before i can get it to the shop.

Thanks

Geoff

Old 04-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Hole appeared in the exhaust pipe

So is the hole in the exhaust manifold or in the Y pipe?
Mike

Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Three Wheeling

If as I understand it the hole is in the exhaust pipe not the manifold, you can source a muffler repair kit that usually consists of a tape or bandage from auto parts suppliers that is imprgnated with a compound that hardens with heat, this can be wrapped around the pipe to cover the hole for a temp repair if the hole is not too large, I see you are in the UAE so I guess they have auto part stores.

Good luck hope this helps

Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
7th Gear

Guys, thanks for the quick replies. I had a closer look. There was definitely a pluf of some sort in the pipe. There is a raised edge of 6mm with a thread inside the hole. The hole is just before the first muffler. It's not in the manifold. It's in the pipe. By the position of the hole and the apparent ease that it can be reached (with long arms) by reaching in from the top of the engine bay, it looks like some kind of hole for testing something, maybe pressure?

Thanks

Geoff

Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

look for dangling wires. I might be way off, but it sounds like you popped an O2 sensor out. Never heard of it, but anythings possible...

Old 04-12-2007, 05:58 PM
7th Gear

You may be onto something. I had another look from underneat the car. About 6 inches away, up beside the gear box is a 2 wire terminal strip. It's not dangling and is fixed to a small bracket. Looks like something should plug in to it. If you're right it sounds like the O2 sensor and the cable all came away in one go.

Geoff

Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 AM
7th Gear

Further info... now that it's daylight i can see better.

Tow exhaust piles come down from either side of the engine, pass thru an elliptical shaped muffler looking object and then run back to a Y piece where they join. The single pipe then runs through a muffler then heads to the rear of the car before passing through a second.

Just prior to the elliptical shaped muffler looking object on each side there is "port" Note the car is a left hand drive. On the right side (passenger) there is a cap securely fixed to the port. On the left side (driver) there is no cap. Above that about 6-8 inches away is a 4 wire male terminal strip in a 2x2 pattern with a barrier between the sets of 2 terminals. A little below that looks like a cable clamp.

A bit of net trawling and i found; http://www2.partstrain.com/products/...~DIS--003.html

The terminal strip in each of the pictures certainly seems to fit the one i can see next to the gear box.

It doesn't look like anything as ever plugged in. Ii's not clear but it seems strange for the sensor and cables to come away completely. The cable clamp is not broken. Is it likely there ever was a sensor there?

Can the car run properly without it? Spare parts in the UAE are rare and therefore expensive and takes ages to arrive, if at all.

Thanks

Geoff

Old 04-14-2007, 12:03 PM
7th Gear

I have checked this matter out further. I managed to download workshop manuals from the net. All say i should have 4 sensores, two on each side of the catalytic converter (not an elliptical muffler as i mentioed above... always learning...)

However there are no ports for 4 sensors. There's only two, one just prior to the atalytic converter on each pipe. One of them is capped off as i mentioed above. The capped off port also has no wiring terminals anywhere near it so it looks like it never has a sensor . Only the one that is suspected as blowing out as the wiring. Maybe it was never there? Is that possible? The car is a GCC (for use in the Middle East) complient spec. Maybe they don't worry about that here

Thansk in advance

Geoff