General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How do I install this 180-degree tstat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I install this 180-degree tstat?

Guys:

As instructed, I ordered the 180-degree thermostat? So, how difficult is the install? What tools and materials are needed? Will I need to purchase more coolant?

I am fairly mechanically inclined, although I am no "gearhead." I believe I can do this, though.

So, how do I do this right, and where should I start?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

First, get the Workshop Manual (aka: RAVE) here....

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...0Discovery%20I

...and download wmlj970e.pdf = workshop manual....aka: RAVE. The bible for these trucks

Though you may not need it for this simple job, you will at some point.

You may find it interesting to read beginning on page 355 for an overview of how your cooling system functions.

You'll need the thermostat and the gasket as well as some scotch brite, perhaps a solvent of some type, and perhaps a razor blade. Also a tube for siphoning out old coolant.

1. Remove the coolant reservoir cap and radiator filler plug and siphon out the anti-freeze into a jug or bucket which can hold up to 2 gallons of fluid.

2. Loosen the two bolts holding the thermostat housing to the intake manifold. Don't be surprised if a bit of coolant is still in there.

3. remove old thermostat and remove all the remnants of the old gasket from the wall of the intake manifold and the thermostat housing using a combination of the scotch brite, razor, gentle solvent, and patience. Don't scratch the mating surfaces or you will have leaks in your future.

4. place the new thermostat in the opening with the spring side toward the cabin of the truck and the small relief valve (jiggly thingy) at the twelve o'clock position (if your t-stat has one).

5. place the new gasket between the t-stat housing and manifold and replace the two bolts holding it in place. Tighten those bolts to 28 Nm or just shy of 20 ft/lb.

....then you have to refill your cooling system with appropriate mix of distilled water and anti-freeze (use the green stuff) and bleed all the air from the system. THIS PART IS AS CRITICAL AS ANY OTHER!

bleeding....

(optional....raise the right side of your truck by putting the right front tire on a curb or something of the like)

1. fill the radiator with new coolant/water until it is topped off and the coolant reservoir up to the 'X' indicator inside of it.

2. start the engine, turn your heat up full blast, and have someone rev the engine slightly until the fluid in the radiator just about rises to the very top, then replace the radiator plug.

3. Allow your engine enough time to come up to 'normal operating temp' which will vary based on how cold it is where you are.

4. Run the engine at 1500-2000 rpm for approximately 60-90 seconds with the heat still on full blast. You should feel very hot air coming from the vents. If not, repeat this step. Then turn off the engine.

5. Fill the coolant reservoir until the liquid just covers the 'X' shaped indicator inside the reservoir and put the cap on.

6. Drive the car for 5 minutes.

7. Check fluid level in reservoir.

...repeat 6 & 7 until there is no change in coolant and the level is up to the 'X' inside the tank.

Enjoy.

P.S. - many people have slightly different bleeding procedures. The main thing is to get all the air out of the system. Every truck is a little bit different so some tweaking of this procedure may be required.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey dude, sorry I haven't gotten back in touch with you. Life is hectic right now. I even took a couple of vacation days to work on my truck as I thought I would have all of the parts arrive by now and of course, I'm lacking the main package to get started on all of this stuff I wanted to do. RRRaaaarrR! You will find your thermostat housing in the very front, passenger side of the bay to the right of the battery. If your coolant is fresh and don't want to waste all of it, buy yourself some stout clamps or assortment of needle nose vice-grips and whatnot so that you can clamp off 3 different hoses. You will also want to purchase 3 new worm-drive ring clamps which fasten the hoses to the thermostat housing. Remove the 3 hoses from the old Tstat, replace with new stat and clamps. Read-up on the threads concerning the coolant system bleed, as you will lose some coolant, introduce air, and have to re-fill what you have lost and purge out said air.

The poster above is listing steps involved with replacing a whole different kind of thermostat that is in-line with the system and block-mounted. Yours is the external variety.

http://www.landroverresource.com/

number 20, page 417
as you read the chapter, you will find this a good time to make sure that the viscous fan is operating properly, condenser fan is activating when it should, and that your hoses are still pliable. Preventative maintenance will save you many headaches and large, what they call "catastrophic" failures. Any extra money that you get, put it towards updating old parts on your Disco. Its a requirement