General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Huge problem with oil and coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:38 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge problem with oil and coolant

This is the picture my wife just sent me Said the coolant light came on as she was pulling in the house This obviously is some plug or cap that has came off anyone able to look under there’s and tell me what this goes to I’m not home 600 miles away in west Tx She said the engine oil says below minimum Is there a plug that goes to coolant or oil under the front of the car Please any info would help me figure out what’s going on or what to do

Old 03-29-2019, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

So what is she driving?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM
4wd High

I’m sorry. 2016 LR4

Old 03-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

That looks like a underbody splash shield. So the missing plug probably doesn’t matter.

The oil depending on how long it’s been since you had topped it off could be coincidence. The coolant leak is apparent though and the engine in the LR4 generally only gets overheated once before it needs to be replaced. So I would start looking from the top to see if she can spot where the engine is wet from the coolant leak.

If you can’t find it or are not sure I would exercise the local tow company to get it to a reliable mechanic

Old 03-29-2019, 08:29 PM
4wd High

I will get her to start looking. So that would just be a plug for the shield and nothing to do with the motor. Unfortunately I’m not there to look and see so I don’t want to sounds stupid. I’ve never gotten under the car before. I did the last oil change myself about 3k miles ago. I’ll get her to pop the hood and start looking. Thanks

Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Have her take pictures of what she see’s close shots and wide so we can have some context to where we are under the hood.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 PM
4wd High

Will do. I just assmunes it was some fluid drain plug that had came out or she hit something and knocked it out.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:06 PM
4wd High

I have a buddy that is going over tomorrow and look it over. He will take some good pictures and let me know what he thinks. I feel like a dufus for not thinking of the splash shield. Thanks for you guys help and I will post some more pics tomorrow as he gets them.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:35 PM
4wd High

Definatelt coolant. See the red on the bolts but the oil level is still showing below minimum. I don’t understand. If this thing dumped 8quarts of oil out we would definatelt be able to tell. Plus I just changed the oil 3-4K miles ago. Anyone else experience coolant and radiator problems?

finatelt

Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

need to see photos from the top side. those confirm that coolant is leaking but it's impossible to identify the source.

how did you do the oil change if you've "never gotten under the car before"? are you certain that the oil level was correct after you changed the oil and that you're not just coincidentally noticing it now?

Quick Reply: Huge problem with oil and coolant