General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I might be buying a 1996 Discovery, but it has some issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I might be buying a 1996 Discovery, but it has some issues

Like it says in the thread title, I'm looking into buying a used Discovery, but there are some issues. The owner says that the windshield started leaking, which caused damage to the ECU, which in turn caused the brakes to stop working entirely. She thinks that replacing the ECU would clear that up, is she right? If so, my next question is, how difficult is it reseal the windshield?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

doesn't sound likely that a water leak would cause the brakes to stop working...

Old 04-17-2016, 09:58 AM
4wd Low

Sounds weird to me, too, but if the brakes are electronically controlled, it could be plausible. I'm about to go look at the thing in person with a couple of mechanic buddies, I guess we'll see what we can figure out.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Brakes aren't exactly electronically controlled, but if there is the ABS, they are modified when it senses a wheel locking up. If you pull the ABS fuse, it will work just like a old school (?) brake system without the ABS. The ABS light will stay on , but the brakes will work.

My brakes would go into the ABS mode and I could still stop, but it would take longer and you would hear the buzzing noise when you apply the brakes. I would check fluid levels first as mine is usually low on fluid during sub zero weather. (gotta work on that now that it is warmer outside)

The following users liked this post:
CHart (04-18-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CHart
She thinks that replacing the ECU would clear that up, is she right? If so, my next question is, how difficult is it reseal the windshield?
Absolutely not.

If the brakes are "not working" i.e. no breaking when the pedal is engaged then there are is a whole list of potential issues such as fluid leak, worn pads, failed master cylinder etc...

The ABS ECU is in the dash and if water damaged will probably throw the ABS light, but you should still be able to stop the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal, you just won't have ABS.

The following users liked this post:
CHart (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Island_Dave
Absolutely not.

If the brakes are "not working" i.e. no breaking when the pedal is engaged then there are is a whole list of potential issues such as fluid leak, worn pads, failed master cylinder etc...

The ABS ECU is in the dash and if water damaged will probably throw the ABS light, but you should still be able to stop the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal, you just won't have ABS.
So the brakes are almost certainly a mechanical issue, instead of electronic? That's actually somewhat encouraging, simpler to deal with. At least on the American, Japanese, and German cars that my friends and I usually work on, don't know about these wacky Brits.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So the brakes are almost certainly a mechanical issue, instead of electronic? That's actually somewhat encouraging, simpler to deal with. At least on the American, Japanese, and German cars that my friends and I usually work on, don't know about these wacky Brits.
Kind of. If you need to change the rotors, you will need to remove the wheel bearing hub assembly so you might as well replace and pack the bearings at the same time. So yeah, pretty whacky...

Old 04-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Those "wacky" Brits built that D1 that's more old school than almost anything of the same year on the road. It's as simple as a newer SUV can get. They are very simple to work on...once you let go of the notion that somehow it's built strange. Most of its designed to be serviced. If properly maintained it will last and go almost anywhere even in stock form.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Those "wacky" Brits built that D1 that's more old school than almost anything of the same year on the road. It's as simple as a newer SUV can get. They are very simple to work on...once you let go of the notion that somehow it's built strange. Most of its designed to be serviced. If properly maintained it will last and go almost anywhere even in stock form.
I apologize if I sounded dismissive with that, I didn't mean to. Simplicity is good, that's what I like to hear, I'd just never even considered buying a British car before this popped up, so I don't really know what they're like. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

No offense taken. I didn't realize either. Looking back to my first post I was clueless. Like you I was convinced they were strange or complicated. The D2 is the last of the easy Rovers. Even that is debatable. Later ones are totally complicated. The D1 , RRC, Defender, and especially the series are really simple. Don't be afraid of them. They like they're maintenence. It's critical. Not like a Chevy truck that will run no matter what. Once you get passed the basic maintenance and get some knowledge they are great.

Quick Reply: I might be buying a 1996 Discovery, but it has some issues