General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I might be buying a 1996 Discovery, but it has some issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
No offense taken. I didn't realize either. Looking back to my first post I was clueless. Like you I was convinced they were strange or complicated. The D2 is the last of the easy Rovers. Even that is debatable. Later ones are totally complicated. The D1 , RRC, Defender, and especially the series are really simple. Don't be afraid of them. They like they're maintenence. It's critical. Not like a Chevy truck that will run no matter what. Once you get passed the basic maintenance and get some knowledge they are great.

Cool, thanks man.

My actual experience with Chevys, is that they don't run.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I picked up my Disco 1 about a month ago and have been working on bringing it back into reliable service after a few years of neglect. These machines are really a pleasure to work on and so simple... I also own a 1965 Series 2A Land Rover and the Disco 1 has more similarities to that than the newer Rovers IMO...

The other cool thing about the Disco 1 is that they share a lot of the running gear (and therefore capability) with the Defender. The Defender guys are paying $20-40k for their toys - I got mine for $600! Dollar for dollar, the Disco 1 really is the best off road vehicle out there.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Island_Dave
I picked up my Disco 1 about a month ago and have been working on bringing it back into reliable service after a few years of neglect. These machines are really a pleasure to work on and so simple... I also own a 1965 Series 2A Land Rover and the Disco 1 has more similarities to that than the newer Rovers IMO...

The other cool thing about the Disco 1 is that they share a lot of the running gear (and therefore capability) with the Defender. The Defender guys are paying $20-40k for their toys - I got mine for $600! Dollar for dollar, the Disco 1 really is the best off road vehicle out there.

Nice. The asking price on the one I'm after is $500, but the owner works out of state, so I haven't gotten a chance to go look at it in person yet, planning to do that Saturday. If replacing the engine ecu gets it to start and run, I'll probably pick it up then, and figure out the brakes when I get it home.

EDIT: I've got an ecu coming from Tarheel Rover Parts, it should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited by CHart; 04-20-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I got my Disco1 for $600 and towed it home. P.O. said it was a fuel pump and he could start it by dumping gas down the intake (which he did) That triggers about 20 error codes so I wouldn't recommend it.. Found out it wasn't the fuel pump, but the inertia switch under the hood that was shutting off the fuel pump. Then redid the ECU to get the windows to work, then cleaned up the wiring in the rear for the lights and trailer connection... next came the front axle rebuild as the ball swivels were pitted ad leaked out all the oil, and wore out the bearings and CV joints. After a year of fixing all the stuff they neglected, I have a solid running truck that will go anywhere I need (or want) to go.

The electrical is a bit different, but once you get the basics of the RAVE figured out, it is no worse than those US trucks.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 AM
4wd Low

Well, I finally got down to see this Disco in person, and except for the water damage, it seems to be in pretty good shape. The water damage, however, looks like it could be pretty bad, there was a two inch puddle on the passenger side floorboard, and the brackets holding all the wiring, ecu boxes and such under the dash were all rusted and corroded. Didn't plug my replacement engine ecu in, because at this point, I'm not sure if its even bad, since its not under the dash and was completely dry. If the water damage did cause something to fry it, I didn't want to risk the new one by putting power to it while everything was still damp under the dash. Starting it up causes the ignition fuse to blow after a couple of times, but we did get it to turn over. Couldn't get it to start, though, battery was dead.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd personally pass on that one

Old 04-25-2016, 03:41 PM
4wd Low

You think so? I don't want to agree, since the rest of the truck is in pretty good shape, but I kinda do. I do have permission to go back down to work on it while the seller's out of state. I'd like to get a tarp over it or something, keep the rain out for a few days so it can dry out, then see what it does.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Mudding

I'd pass on that too... unless you're an auto electrician, you could be chasing electrical issues around for weeks before you can even take the thing for a drive and find out what else needs replacing...

Old 04-25-2016, 04:00 PM
4wd Low

Well, of the people I've talked to about this, that's three against to two for, so I guess I'll let this one go. Its a damn shame, though, the owner's probably going to end up junking it.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Mudding

Can't save 'em all mate!

If you're really set on a D1, keep your eyes open on craigslist etc... and something better will come up.

Quick Reply: I might be buying a 1996 Discovery, but it has some issues