General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need major newbie help!! Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need major newbie help!! Anyone?

Hello everyone!

I am so happy that I found this site because I purchased a 2000 LR Discovery Series II last week, and it was used so the dealer has no idea how to help me, and the only Land Rover dealership is 100 miles away. So here goes:

Question #1- Problem is with the key and starting it. If I don't seem to turn the key just right it won't turn on at all. No dash lights, nothing! Only a clicking noise from the dash, and the SRS light. Once I keep fooling with it, and ultimately set off the alarm, then it will act right. Same thing after park it. I try to pull out the key, and it's like the whole thing dies, and the alarm won't set or anything, like the engine is imobilised, but i haven't set the alarm yet. Then when I get it started the (M)anual & (S)port mode flashes, and when I turn off the engine and back on it goes away.(again it's not that it won't start like it's trying, and if i continue i could flood it, but it has no power like the alarm is set, and the whole thing is shut down.

Question #2- I notice when I get on the freeway, it won't switch gears until it's at about 50miles per hour. But on the street, it shifts gears so fast from a dead stop that it's on the 3rd gear before I have gotten to 30 miles per hour.

Question #3- Final question for now)- I took it to a mechanic and had a complete diagnostic done, and the code they found was 705, and they state it means that it's the Transmission sensor switch. I don't know if my question 2 & 3 are related, but can anyone help me. I don't know the history, but my buyers remorse is kicking in, and the mechanic says it's in great condition for being a 2000 and having 84,000 miles but I am really scared. Please can anyone help me?