General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I think it's time to say good bye :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think it's time to say good bye :(

I have been the proud owner of a 2004 Land Rover discovery for 6 years. I've consistently had various coolant system problems, thermostat, water pump, hoses, radiator and a year ago replaced head gasket. I've recently found that either another head gasket has blown or perhaps it's the same one. Either way I'm not willing to put another 2-3K in my baby. He has over 100K miles and we need a more reliable SUV in our small family.
My question is what are my options as far as selling for parts? Obviously it isn't drive able and I've never dealt with this.
I've used this forum a few times and found all advice helpful, as well as just reading posts.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many people who part out their trucks, normally 1) has a place to keep the truck as they are removing parts - Which depending on how bare bones you want the truck can easily take a year 2) remove the parts themself - Are you will to remove and ship a transfer case? What about a window motor? 3) and have a plan to junk the truck after most parts have been sold. Since you stated that you don't have $2-3k for head gasket repair - which if your handy with tools - can be done for $500 or less. You may want to see if you can sell it here or on Craiglist. Where are you located? I'm sure if you post a few pictures and location - You'll have more than a few people making you offers. I would like to see as many landrover on the road as possible but used parts to keep them on the road has to come from somewhere.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually the reasons the head gaskets fail again that quick is because either the mechanic didn't tighten the head bolts the right way or didn't check the heads. (warped, cracked) Where are you located? Maybe someone here knows of a good indy shop so you can get it looked at. Parting out is a pain because usually you end up with a "lawn ornament" for about a year.