General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'm power curious

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm power curious

I just recently got a 2" TF HD Lift and big 255/75 R18's on my Disco 2 (118k). I'm planning on tacking on a roof rack and brush guard eventually.

Ever since my little Tahoe trip a few weeks ago, I felt that achieving flow-of-traffic speed on a slight incline was a chore for the Disco. Can I combat this lack of power with a different final gearing solution?

Also, someone mentioned that spider gears need to be swapped out for a bulkier gear when bigger wheels and a lift are added? Should I give credence to that?

Let me know what yall make of this doohickey. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

No, and yes.

No, you cannot combat the lack of power or rather the performance on an incline/grade with a different gear ratio. Make sure your transmission kick down is working or select a lower gear manually and you will be turning enough engine RPM for the grade, but it will still go slow. The lift, roof rack and brush guard will make it even slower. The vehicle has a lot of weight and poor aerodynamics for the amount of power the engine produces. The lift, brush guard, and roof rack make for an aerodynamically absurd package to push to 70mph. Add a steep grade for the vehicle well over 5000 pounds, and you see what you get.

Yes, the Discovery comes stock with two-pin carriers. It is weak. You can replace them with factory four-pin carriers (standard on Defenders). Most people replacing the carriers will opt for an aftermarket limited slip or locker. The Detroit Tru-trac is a good option unless you know you want a selectable locker. Then Ashcroft or ARB.

If you replace the carrier, you should consider replacing the ring and pinion with a preferable final ratio too. It won't fix the issue on the grade, but it will restore the ability of the vehicle to "crawl" and use engine breaking on hill descents with large tires.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

By my calculations that's a 33 inch tires and you should be correcting 4 inch tire difference, you would gain your power back with a 4:11 upgrade.

I also believe that D1 had 2-pin carrier and you have a D 2 so your differential is a 4-pin carrier.
But I could be wrong on that.

Originally Posted by binvanna
No, and yes.

No, you cannot combat the lack of power or rather the performance on an incline/grade with a different gear ratio. Make sure your transmission kick down is working or select a lower gear manually and you will be turning enough engine RPM for the grade, but it will still go slow. The lift, roof rack and brush guard will make it even slower. The vehicle has a lot of weight and poor aerodynamics for the amount of power the engine produces. The lift, brush guard, and roof rack make for an aerodynamically absurd package to push to 70mph. Add a steep grade for the vehicle well over 5000 pounds, and you see what you get.

Yes, the Discovery comes stock with two-pin carriers. It is weak. You can replace them with factory four-pin carriers (standard on Defenders). Most people replacing the carriers will opt for an aftermarket limited slip or locker. The Detroit Tru-trac is a good option unless you know you want a selectable locker. Then Ashcroft or ARB.

If you replace the carrier, you should consider replacing the ring and pinion with a preferable final ratio too. It won't fix the issue on the grade, but it will restore the ability of the vehicle to "crawl" and use engine breaking on hill descents with large tires.