General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Issues with TC when turning Left

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with TC when turning Left

New to the site but not Land Rover. If there is already an answer to this elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

I am having this issue in my 2000 Disco II with what appears to be my TC when I turn left. The brake on the left front wheel (I think) pulses and tries to stop it from turning. If I take the ABS relay out, my BRAKE dash light comes on, but the problem goes away. Of course this means I have no TC or ABS in this mode, so I am obviously looking for a remedy. The front right Brake Sensor was replaced and it is not throwing any codes. I also had 2 new 4.14 Thrust Bolted, Air Locking Diffs and 2 new HD Double Cardan Driveshafts from Great Basin Rover installed recently. Also installed the Linkage for the CDL. Can't seem to figure out what would be engaging the TC.

Any help or advice appreciated !

Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

was it the sensor or the hub. hubs go in those all the time. They rust internally.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Drifting

It was the sensor, but the hub was also replaced as they tend to go hand in hand with issues. What I don't know is... if the hub was bad on the other side (LEFT), but the sensor was still good, could it be causing this problem, while still not sending error codes. In other words, could the hub be sticking on one side and causing the truck to activate TC, and still not throw a code? I assume that there would be no error code if the computer thought it was legitimately employing TC due to some mechanical difference.

So...
If a hub sticks, would it interpret the other wheels faster speed as slippage and employ TC?

or...
would it interpret the slower wheel speed on the sticking side as a brake lockup and employ ABS?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Drifting

It's not just an auto shop I'm dealing with. They only do Rovers, and all came from the dealer. They use only OEM parts unless I bring my own aftermarket stuff like Rovertym, Air Locker, Great Basin, etc. They only thing they may not have is all of the diagnostic tools... not sure. I just don't want to get into a thing where I pay the dealer $120 just to tell me they don't know.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Drifting

More info...

This problem doesn't occur if I run it with the CDL engaged and only one of the 2 drive shafts installed (either one). But as soon as I have both in, the grabbing issue starts again when turning hard left at anything over a crawl.

It was strongly suggested that the air locked diffs that Great Basin Rover sent me may have different ratios. I was pretty sure that Bill at GBR did not make that mistake as he has a good reputation, so tested it. I found a mile stretch on pavement that was straight. Then I engaged the CDL and activated both air lockers so that ALL four wheels would be turning at the same speed. Nothing bound up at all in that mile stretch so the ratios can't be different. An issue like that would show up before 100 meters.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Drifting

bump... any ideas or suggestions???

Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Drifting

additional info...

It seems to happen more when the turn is sharp and when I give it a little gas.
If I go very slowly, I can keep it from happening.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One is obviously turning faster then the other one. You need to figure out why.

it is possible the sensor was incorrect. But doubtful. Seen it in newer vehicle. reeked havoc on the system.

Sometimes rotors cause the issue when they are really rusted out but that is once in a blue moon.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
One is obviously turning faster then the other one. You need to figure out why.

it is possible the sensor was incorrect. But doubtful. Seen it in newer vehicle. reeked havoc on the system.

Sometimes rotors cause the issue when they are really rusted out but that is once in a blue moon.
Both Front Rotors and pads were replaced, but only Right Front Hub and ABS Sensor

Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Additional Note:
Don't know if it's related, but brakes seemed soft. However, if I pump them once and then engage, they are great ! Since the fluid looks fine, I assumed it is the Master cylinder (hope not actually), but I thought it was worth mentioning since the issue I'm having is related to ABS/TC

Quick Reply: Issues with TC when turning Left