General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key fob remote control keyless programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob remote control keyless programming

When I purchased my 2002 Freelander, used,it did not come with a remote / key fob then I purchased one, now I need to know how to program it,

I found the following procedure somewhere, I tried it but did not work, now I do not know if the battery in the remote is good or not because is used and these 2 button remotes do not have an LED light, anyway I'm going to replace the battery tomorrow and try it again, the main question is on step 5 and 6 the locking and unlocking of doors is done with the remote or with the switch on the dashboard and the button on the remote constantly pushed?
thanks

to programm key fob
here's a code you can try. If it does not work, like most 2 button key fobs, you'll have to ask the dealer. I read somewhere that one owner removed the battery from his key fob, played with the fob buttons until all current was used up; installed new batteries and then, again, used the key buttons several times. This 'somehow' triggered a reprogram within the security ECU. I cannot confirm this, so use this as a last posible alternative.
Meanwhile:

1. Starting conditions: ignition off, doors unlocked, hood switch depressed.
2. Carry out instructions 3. to 9. within 8 seconds.
3. Switch ignition ON.
4. Switch ignition OFF.
5. Lock doors.
6. Unlock doors.
7. Release hood switch.
8. Switch ignition ON.
9. Switch ignition OFF.
If alarm is correctly accessed, horn will sound and LED will light. It is now possible to program two handsets of correct frequency to vehicle alarm ECU. This must be carried out within two minutes.
10. Press and hold down button on first handset until dash LED flashes.
11. Repeat instruction 10. for second handset.
12. The LED will extinguish if both handsets have been programmed correctly.
Best of luck,