General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key won't work in door. Locked out of disco

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't work in door. Locked out of disco

HELP PLEASE -

So my land rover disco 2001 has been slowly becoming crippled. The locks stopped responding the the key fob slowly over the past four years. I have been using the ignition key to lock and unlock the drivers door for a while. Recently I would have to jiggle the key around to unlock or lock the door. NOW I cannot even get the key all the way into the lock. It is sooo weird. A locksmith came out with a slim jim and I could see the lock coming up, however the door wouldn't open. From reading previous posts it appears that I somehow super locked it. But why wont the key go into the drivers side key lock entirely? Is that part of the super lock? I live in Denver and am tight with money. The thought of it being towed to a dealership sends me into a panic regarding the cost. Any thoughts on the problems? Does this have to be fixed at the dealership? And if so...any speculation on cost?

THanks!!!!
Sad, sad, Stacey

Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take some WD-40 or whatever you have and spray into the lock, then insert the key and wiggle it, repeat until the key goes in all the way, then lock/unlock the door a few times.
Dirt gets in the lock and makes it hard to insert the key or turn the lock, eventually the lock will break completely.
You know you can buy a new battery for your remote right?
$5 at Wal-Mart, it just takes a watch battery.
Using a butter knife or a small screw driver pop the remote open, remove battery, replace battery, you need to be quick though once you have the battery out, 10 sec or the remote looses its memory and you will need to make a trip to the dealer.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply. I will try that. Also the battery works ok. One by one the doors have stopped responding to the key fob. When I hit the key fob recently (when I think I super locked it) the lights would respond to the fob. However, the doors wouldn't open. It sounds as if the drivers side back door was attempting...but no result.

Could this be the door actuaries and if so approx how much are those to have repaired? Also I read somewhere that this is in super lock mode and it needs to be towed to a dealership where they reprogram it??

Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 PM
4wd Low

I also tried de icer the other day and it didn't help regarding lubrication. I don't have wd 40. How about cooking oil? lol....

Old 10-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Once you get the remote fob battery working (while retaining memory) and the driver door key working you should be able to "un lock" super lock. Each door has a door lock motor and a separate superlock motor in the same housing. When superlocked, the doors can't operate from inside, and a slim jim from a locksmith may not always work either.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:03 PM
4wd Low

Ok. So I just went outside and tried the oil and jiggle trick. Nothing. There is something blocking the key from entering all the way.

So let me understand this. Even though when I hit the key fob and the lights come on for the land rover, you still think I should change the batter in the key fob? I will try it. However, I can't get the key to manually unlock the door.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Are you able to use fob to turn off alarm, open another door with key, without alarm going off? Are you able to get inside truck from other doors (in which case you would not be super locked)? If able to get inside truck, will engine crank and run?

Cooking oil won't do, WD-40 is also a solvent that dissolves gunk. You can buy some at Wal Mart, and a great many other stores.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

When you try to unlock or lock the doors with the remote, can you hear the actuator trying to work if you put your ear up to the door?
What happens if you try to unlock it twice in a row, anything?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM
4wd Low

All doors are locked and haven't been able to be opened or closed with the key fob for years. So using the key fob isn't an option. First the passenger door didn't respond and then the back doors and then the cargo gate. That was over a few years. I could manually lock or unlock them for the inside. So I have been using the key manually. When I hit the key fob I can hear the rear drivers side door sound as if it is trying to unlock. But it never does. When I hit the key fob twice nothing happens.

I will get some wd-40 tomorrow.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok now that we have actual information that we can use...your power door lock actuators are bad.
Stick the key in the door lock and turn it to unlock the door only do not let go of the key, hold the key in the unlock position and open the door.
Because there is a spring that pulls the door lock down and the actuator is what hold that up and is bad you need to manually hold it open.
Then you need to replace your door lock actuators.

Quick Reply: Key won't work in door. Locked out of disco