General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

latest on the tear down

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default latest on the tear down

Here are the latest pics from the tear down on my Disco 2. I know it's been awhile however, I have run into some issues along the way including a stripped bolt head on the alternator bracket and having to buy more tools (fan wrench).
Also, I'm doing this outside and the weather and my job haven't really cooperated with getting it done in a more timely matter. At this point I'm just hoping I can get it back together since it has been taking so long hahaha. I've taken lots of pics of the top and connectors so I'm hoping that helps.
I do have a question as to the best way to get all this sludge cleaned out of the top of the block before I put it back together.

I'm getting parts cleaner tomorrow after work so, any recommendations on that would be good too. I'm planning on using Berryman at this point but, it's not set in stone. Thanks for your help and have a great day!!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mudpuppy229
Here are the latest pics from the tear down on my Disco 2. I know it's been awhile however, I have run into some issues along the way including a stripped bolt head on the alternator bracket and having to buy more tools (fan wrench).
Also, I'm doing this outside and the weather and my job haven't really cooperated with getting it done in a more timely matter. At this point I'm just hoping I can get it back together since it has been taking so long hahaha. I've taken lots of pics of the top and connectors so I'm hoping that helps.
I do have a question as to the best way to get all this sludge cleaned out of the top of the block before I put it back together.

I'm getting parts cleaner tomorrow after work so, any recommendations on that would be good too. I'm planning on using Berryman at this point but, it's not set in stone. Thanks for your help and have a great day!!
Personally, I wouldn't use solvents & degreasers that will drain into the sump and wash out the bearings. It just sounds like a bad idea, especially with the cam bearings being right there, & with documentation of them walking out on these Rover blocks. Do a google search if nobody recommends anything but if you end up using a stripper just spray it on a rag and wipe the surfaces. You still need to drain the sump and refresh the engine oil before you fire it up again but I'm sure you already had every intention of doing that. To add, having that buildup in the back end of the valley like that may be evidence of clogged galleys and/or low oil pressure. I could be wrong but most have an even distribution of that sludge or whatever you want to call it. I don't know if you run Rotella but I would be looking for an agent like that with a higher content of cleaning properties because that stuff will be *In all of the places where you don't want it to be.

Last edited by chubbs878; 05-18-2017 at 09:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mudpuppy229 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Mudding

no other suggestions at this point but, yours makes sense. I am actually planning on dropping the whole oil pan and cleaning it out. not even sure what's in there lol. The company that I bought it from seemed like they kept up with the oil changes(according to the stickers on the window) but, it was standard stock at the oil change place. I haven't even had it long enough to change the oil. Any way.... once I run it for a while I'm gonna go ahead and change the oil again just to get any left over crap out and make sure it is totally fresh.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Run some diesel oil in it, the detergents will help clean out the sludge.
I would wipe out as much as possible first.

mudpuppy229 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

When you drop the pan it is a good idea to clean the screen on the oil pickup AND replace the small o-ring between the pickup and the bottom end.

mudpuppy229 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Mudding

Got the heads off this evening (finished a few minutes ago). Here are the newest pics. Didn't get pics of the heads cause I wanted to put them away for the night.

driver's side

driver's side (upside down)

passenger side

passenger side (upside down)

Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Mudding

Not sure if anyone is following this thread but, here is the latest after pics of the block...after using some sand paper... just kidding... after using an old credit card I finally got the block fairly clean. this isn't the final clean by no means but, I spent hours trying to get it as close as I could to perfect. I'm meticulous like that. There are some dimples that were embedded in the block from the gasket that I could do nothing about. other than that I think it looks 500% better. Heads are next obviously but, I can do those when the sun isn't shining ... thought I'd take advantage of the weather and get the block done first. Any comments are welcome.

driver's side(remember the 3 cylinder)

driver's side (remember the burnt spot)

passenger side ( some issues with some spots and you can see the dimples from the gaskets)
reality.... I'm pretty happy at this point with how everything looks... I have been soaking the rods one at a time and cleaning them off and putting them back in order. will post pics of those after they are done an I still need to do a little work on the rockers. over all... it has been a journey... an education so to speak. I cuss one moment and laff the next. Must be crazy lol... but then, we all know we are for owning these beautiful beasts.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Pro Wrench

I also did a head gasket replacement not too long ago, in the dead of winter, outside, at night time. Since it was @ Xmas holidays & so on, I had delays and setbacks of every variety; it was down for almost 1-month. In that time, all of the bearings in the drive pulleys faulted, along with the PS pump and the brake fluid reserv. seals failed and dumped all of its contents. I'm sure there is more but I remember wiping the cylinder walls liberally with motor oil before I installed the reman' cyl-heads. I went above & beyond with taps/surface/gasket prep so that everything would torque-down/seal like no other. Don't go overboard on RTV/silicone; use only as prescribed by W/M. I did use copper gasket in certain places. Don't forget to clean/refresh the block threads for the exhaust manifold bolts; that is where I screwed up. Got to the very end and had trouble - in my opinion, reassembling the exhaust mani' & gaskets was the toughest part of the whole procedure so you want those bolts to start easily. They are in a helluva spot to repair and to this day still lack 1 fastener where I f*** the tap. Since the engine sat idle so long I removed the fuel-pump relay & turned the engine over several times before allowing it to fire, hoping that it would begin to build some oil pressure. That & liberal application of fresh oil throughout the top end before the VCs & pan gasket went on.

mudpuppy229 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Mudding

I did notice that whoever did this last stacked the exhaust gaskets... there were more than one for each set of manifolds. I was wondering if this was normal practice. I did accidentally order 2 sets so I was thinking I could do the same. they did 3-4 I think which seems extreme.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mudpuppy229
I did notice that whoever did this last stacked the exhaust gaskets... there were more than one for each set of manifolds. I was wondering if this was normal practice. I did accidentally order 2 sets so I was thinking I could do the same. they did 3-4 I think which seems extreme.
I learned to stack 2 of the upper intake gasket, the 1 that goes right under the top banana manifold but I didn't even think about stacking the exhaust mani' gaskets. it was hard enough getting 1 of them to go. There is an up/down orientation to them.

Quick Reply: latest on the tear down