General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Let's Talk Weight

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Let's Talk Weight

I have a portly 94 D1 that's really built that I intend to use for my week long camping excursions. My current semi built 96 D1 is getting up there on the scales when fully loaded w camping gear and spares.

This truck has HD OME suspension a few bits of armor and Wolf wheels on KM3's. By the time I put my rack, RTT and gear inside even the HD suspension sags a bit. I do have the rear seats pulled and have a basic wood platform (no drawers) just to hold my gear.

I realize there are some obvious cuts in wieght I can make. But the other Disco is a problem. That one is built up a lot more.

94 D1 Full Rte 3" suspension. Boxed arms, sliders , Front and rear RTE bumpers, diff armor, a winch, 4.71s/lockers and steel wheels. If I add my camping gear/tools and spares to this thing ...it's gonna be outrageously heavy. The little 3.9 is going to be screaming.

Has anyone run a stock engine with this much weight and stock brakes? Realize I can kick fuel economy to the curb. I'm seriously debating if it's worth having all the extra off-road parts. On these trips I do a fair amount of technical off-roading. So it's not totally unjustified. Running Great basin heavy duty shafts and double cardi and driveshafts. But it's still the stock engine and stock transmission. This truck is going to run 235 85 so the gearing isn't going to be all that crazy. I do have the option to run 1.4 case but I thought that might be a bit high with the current gearing.