General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

looking for help in restoring a 1954 land rover

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for help in restoring a 1954 land rover

hi everyone.
I've just come across a 1954 land rover in great condition, and I want to try and get it running. I just want a bit of advice before I start the engine start up routine. ex. hand cranking, oiling, carb, etc.
It last ran 11 years ago.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-12-2016, 01:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Would love to see some pics, engine and all. i was born in 1954. I would think the carb would need rebuilding(if old gas had been in it and had dried leaving jets and all clogged), squirt some oil in the cylinders, if the oil pump is driven by distributor, then pull the distributor and if the pump can be driven by drill with appropriate shaft matching the pump drive(I would drain and replace the oil), this is how we would prime the pump on new rebuild and get oil to the main and rod bearings.
My brother pulled a sunken boat with an inline 6 that had been in the water 14 months and we did this along with replacing the starter, plugs(we also removed the valve covers and poured kerosene into the engine and drained to get rid of water) and the engine fired up and ran perfectly.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Drain the fuel system put in some fresh gas a new filter and flush it through. Pull the plugs put a little marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. Let it sit overnight, use a wrench to hand turn the motor over the next day. Go through a 4-5 full revolutions. Then put the plugs back in. Check the coolant level and if it looks OK leave it for now so a flush once it's running. Make sure the pulley turns on the water pump. Hook the fuel system back up to the carb. Clean the points in the distributor. Change the oil and the canister filter, don't want oil pressure issues due to a disintegrated filter element. Disconnect the coil lead crank engine in the starter allowing it to build oil pressure. The hook up the coil lead cross your fingers and give it a go.