General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Love my Disco but I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Love my Disco but I need help!!

I've had my 1997 Disco for a year now and have several strange issues..

1)Three of my windows don't work properly. R-driver window wont lift or lower and has slid down 4 inches into door. F-driver window wont close all the way, 1/2 inch gap at top. F-passenger window motor works but big metal disc inside snapped off while it was being raised.
2)Speedometer stopped working while driving on an extremely windy day here in the Midwest.. I'm watching out for cops but I'd like my teenager to know her speed while she's driving. LOL!
3)Truck starts great every morning but if I have errands to run that require turning it off and on more then once, it doesn't always start right away. I usually have to step on the gas pedal to get it going and it sounds like its out of gas or just cant get goin even though it really wants to start.

Obviously I'm not very technical but I love my truck and am willing to learn along the way. I have my manual and can get my hands on any tool made by Craftsman since I sell them for a living, now all I need is some direction. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problems with your windows are mechanical. You'll need to either get someone who can work on the broken parts based on info present here, or someone who can get and install new parts.

The speedometer is either the speedometer itself, or the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) mounted in the side of the transmission. The VSS is most likely. If its not damaged it can be rebuilt, but if you get no speedometer reading, I would check the wires to the sensor.

The last problem may be caused by the fuel pump. Fuels pressure should be a minimum of 35 pounds. Any less and you can have starting problems. Probably some performance issues as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate any help I can get from whom ever gives it.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Agreed with the VSS.
You are going to have to remove the inner door panels to see whats going on with the doors, you can replace just the plastic rollers, DI page, tech section.
Start with testing the fuel pressure, on the passenger side of the engine, tire valve looking thing, rent a fuel pressure tester.