General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Low mileage vehicle whining

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low mileage vehicle whining

My son recently purchased an 05 LR3 with only 11,500 miles. It has quickly developed a distinct whining sound that occurs when the vehicle is in gear and moving. It gets louder when the vehicle accelerates but is not affected by the shifting of the transmission. The whining is still present if the transmission is shifted into neutral while the car is moving. LR mechanics tried to diagnose; inspected the transfer case, found nothing and refilled the case. Whining still present. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your advice.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

ive seen a few, not many, differentials make noise on these, ones ive heard were more of a groan then a whine though... im assuming the tires were already ruled out?... also, it makes no noise when in neutral and winding the engine up? what about loading up one side or the other(like turning through a sweeping curve), does it get louder one way?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Tires have been ruled out. Actually, it does make the whining, (winding) sound when in neutral but only when at a good speed, not when stopped. I guess I'm making a point that it doesn't seem to be the transmission. Haven't noticed a difference during a sweeping turn but I'll have to test that to rule it out. Ruled out transfer case bearings, no metal shavings when tcase fluid was drained. Most noticeable from 30 mph to 65 mph...steady increase in pitch as speed increases. Also seems to be from the front and center of the vehicle under the floorboard. I'm trying not to eliminate something with too many "clues". Appreciate your help.