General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

LR Disco 3 command shift not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:34 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR Disco 3 command shift not working

For a while now my command shift has not worked. I have read extensively on the net regarding this subject to find out why and possibly how to fix this. I have noted that some end up solving this problem by replacing a few parts on the gearbox side shifter arm shaft, (this however is not my problem) and where there seems to be someone else coming with light at the end of the tunnel on other possible solutions...it seems to me they so happy to solve their problem, they never bother to come back and tell us how they solved their problem.
Ever since the command shift on my vehicle stopped working, my 'D' on the gear console stays alight all the time - whether the car is running or not - and shows up the 'D' lighted in red.
My take on this is by now there surely has to be a few people out there with inimate knowledge on this problem and able to supply a concise answer as to what is going on and how to fix it.
Please can someone give me the right advice on this problem, it would be much appreciated and I will be extremely grateful!

Old 05-24-2017, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I too have the same problem withe the command shift not working, additionally the D is illuminated constantly even with the key out of the ignition. Did anyone ever sort this issue out. Does anyone have any ideas on this please?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 AM
6th Gear

I never resolved the issue because I dont really use my Landy that much anymore. The problems are still present and I did subsequently have the gearbox and related issued checked out by our local ZF dealer (Manufacturer of the Landy's gearbox). Everything checked out fine and it was concluded that I needed to change the gear selector unit inside the cab. I just haven't bothered to replace the unit yet - will get to it soon I suppose.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:10 AM
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Resurrecting the thread! I have been having the same issue. It seems to be an electrical issue. I too had the illuminated "D" on the gear selector. Command shift not working. I replaced my gear selector assembly and that did fix the "D" illumination issue, but did not fix the command shift issue. I'm dreading digging into the electrical. Visual inspection of the wiring showed nothing, connectors are not corroded. If I figure it out I'll post up.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:35 AM
6th Gear

I did solve the problem. I replaced the gear selector with a 2nd hand gear selector from the Landy graveyard.
Problem solved. What you need to do is go to the Landy graveyard and get a 2nd hand gear selector from them and
while you there swop your one over for the unit they gave you. then take the car for a test and you will quick enough see if it works.
In fact, you can see if its working even before you go for a test drive just by moving the gear lever around and it should show you on your dash
board what you are selecting. It is simple to swop over, just take your tools that you are going to need to swop it over with you. You can do it in the car park.
Ask their permission to test it otherwise they want you to pay first. In my opinion, I suspect that your replaced gear selector may also have been faulty.
In fact the more I think about it, that is still you problem. If the command shift is not working, to me, that tells me that the PC board in the gear selector is fried
( that was my problem) and the "Hall Effect", (electronic circuitry that make the gear selector select various things on the PC board) is not working and I therefore conclude that is why you are unable to get command shift. That you can see what gear you are in on the dash read out when you select gears is coming from the gearbox control unit within the gearbox and they are small letters. Looking at the screen where the speedometer kilo read out is, then on the total left side of the screen, if the command shift is working, then it will show you what gear (in big letters) you are in while you are in driving. I sold my vehicle a while ago so I am trying to do this from memory. Hope you come right. Please, Please, will you come back and wrap up your thread as to the outcome once you are sorted. I find it very hollow that many people get their answer they are looking for but never come back and wrap up and so others looking for answers are never to sure what happened. Bit unsatisfying I'd say.

The following users liked this post:
loanrangie (02-10-2021)
Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 AM
Mudding

Thank you. You may be right. I might be bad. I have one other thing to check first and then I'll probably buy another gear selector assembly. I'll post my solution when I figure it out. I hate when people don't post their solutions as well. I try to go back to all of my posts and add my solution. Nothing worse that sorting through hundreds of posts of the same issue, but nobody posts what the actual solution was. Most of them say "fixed" thanks for everybody's help.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Mudding

Okay, I got it working. I have it posted in the LR3 section of the board. I pulled the PCB board out of the old gearshift selector assembly to inspect. It was corroded on the backside, so I decided to pull the PCB board out of the replacement shift assembly. It was nice and clean. Put it all back together, still had not sport/manual. Decided to raise up the vehicle and check out the wiring harness and plug that plugs into the transmission. Cleaned it up replaced it, made sure the tab to twist it on was as tight as it would go and wiggled the wires on the backside. I now have sport/manual. So, loose pin connection on the harness to the transmission. It wasn't working when I bought it, but the previous owner had a transmission shop look at it, so I'm betting they fiddled with it. All is good now. Appreciate your help.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin29360
I did solve the problem. I replaced the gear selector with a 2nd hand gear selector from the Landy graveyard.
Problem solved. What you need to do is go to the Landy graveyard and get a 2nd hand gear selector from them and
while you there swop your one over for the unit they gave you. then take the car for a test and you will quick enough see if it works.
In fact, you can see if its working even before you go for a test drive just by moving the gear lever around and it should show you on your dash
board what you are selecting. It is simple to swop over, just take your tools that you are going to need to swop it over with you. You can do it in the car park.
Ask their permission to test it otherwise they want you to pay first. In my opinion, I suspect that your replaced gear selector may also have been faulty.
In fact the more I think about it, that is still you problem. If the command shift is not working, to me, that tells me that the PC board in the gear selector is fried
( that was my problem) and the "Hall Effect", (electronic circuitry that make the gear selector select various things on the PC board) is not working and I therefore conclude that is why you are unable to get command shift. That you can see what gear you are in on the dash read out when you select gears is coming from the gearbox control unit within the gearbox and they are small letters. Looking at the screen where the speedometer kilo read out is, then on the total left side of the screen, if the command shift is working, then it will show you what gear (in big letters) you are in while you are in driving. I sold my vehicle a while ago so I am trying to do this from memory. Hope you come right. Please, Please, will you come back and wrap up your thread as to the outcome once you are sorted. I find it very hollow that many people get their answer they are looking for but never come back and wrap up and so others looking for answers are never to sure what happened. Bit unsatisfying I'd say.
I have this exact same issue and after cleaning the PCB and socket to no avail then i happened onto this thread, think i'll just bite the bullet and replace the shifter.
Did you guys also have a P0730 error code by any chance ?

Old 02-11-2021, 11:32 PM
6th Gear

No P0730 error
I looked up what this error was and this was what I found:

Incorrect gear ratio
P0730 is the OBD-II generic code for an incorrect gear ratio detected in an automatic transmission. The ratio of a combination of engine speed and throttle position and the speed of the transmission is used to determine what gear the transmission will use when driving.

It would be quite interesting to see how you resolve this. Let us know please.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I got a shifter and the short wiring loom that plugs into today so will swap it out tomorrow, from what i could find P0730 is caused by an electrical issue so hoping this sorts it out.

Quick Reply: LR Disco 3 command shift not working