General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

lr3 overheats and no heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lr3 overheats and no heat

Hi, I love my LR3 I bought it in 2005 since then I have had no big problems at 106k until about a week a noise from the front of the engine compartment more like a squealing when you first start the truck then about a week it went away. Now I was driving and I heard something snap not very loud but noticeable then it overheated. I replaced the water-pump the bearing was really loose and would make a squealing noise when I would spin it. Then, I put everything back together. was good at idle test drove it and started to overheat I try turning on the heat of the truck to lower the temperature on the engine, but no heat come out just cool air and it did not smell like coolant either, and there were no leaks. But when is just at idle it will not overheat I also checked the oil to see if I had coolant but none was present, I also order a brand new t/stat that will be here in 2 days so I pulled the old one off to find it stuck to the housing. I put everything back together test drove it again without the t/stat and nothing until about 2 miles the temperature started to go back up then the engine light came on and coolant came out so I turned off grab a temp gun and check the temp on the block and related parts and yes they were boiling but the rad was only at 80F I’m thinking of pulling out the rad and checking the flow of water to see if it is the rad or not... PLEASE HELP I'MA doing this right or is there something else that I’m over looking any suggestions will be gladly appreciated…

Old 10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you did not bleed the system well. You got air in the system. The water pump does not pump air, once an air pocket hits the pump there is no circulation and you engine overheats while the radiator stays colder.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got the new t/stat! once I put it on, I bleed the system like you said and everything is working fine!!! Thanks for the help Leadfoot.