General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No Heat When Idling; Full Heat When Moving

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Heat When Idling; Full Heat When Moving

Hi All,

So I've been having some issues with my heat as of late. About a year ago, I noticed that my vehicle really didn't heat up until it was moving. It wasn't really a huge deal for me however, so I just let it slide. Once in a while I would see the dreaded book symbol, but it would go away soon enough and I wasn't too concerned.

Today I got the book symbol again. Just as before, when the vehicle is idling (at startup, or at a red light), the heat goes away and it just blows cool air. However this time, when I started moving again, all it would blow is full hot air. When I tried turning both temp. controls down (all the way), the passenger side would get cool air, but my driver side would still get full heat (really hot).

I was/am able to sort of deal with the problem by just adjusting the fan speed, as now it's getting cold enough that I really only want heat. However the issue is going to have to be addressed at some point.

What do we think I'm looking at here? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

John

Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

at the very least , check the coolant level, and bleed the coolant system....if it's low on coolant it wont circulate through the heater core until the engine speeds up. If the coolant level is ok, and the system is bled properly.....the heater core may be partially clogged. If it turns out that you were low on coolant...you'll need to find out where the leak is..

Old 11-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The thermostat is bad, it is stuck partially open and not allowing the coolant to stay inside the engine long enough to get heated by the engine.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I had a similar problem some years ago when, after a journey, whilst the engine was idling queuing for a ferry I noticed the heater was blowing cooler/cold when it was OK during the journey. It turned out to be an air lock in the heater matrix and was obviously low on coolant. After bleeding the cooling system and topping up the problem disappeared. Hence it seems to have been an air lock in the system.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You have no heat because you have a coolant leak causing air to fill the heater core.
First thing to do is fill the coolant, bleed it and then do a coolant pressure test to find and fix your leak.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The thermostat is bad, it is stuck partially open and not allowing the coolant to stay inside the engine long enough to get heated by the engine.
Typically that results in the opposite, heat when idling, no heat when driving.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

This is one of those bypass stats, so it has two valves, one for "main" flow, and another for flow at idle speed to warm the interior. Lots of hoses coming out of it. When water pump speeds up, the pressure is supposed to be enough to open the smaller valve to send heat to you. When main valve opens, it shoves smaller valve closed.

So Spike and Tom can both be right, because it would depend on which section was sticking.

Thoughts to ponder -

if an air pocket, would you hear it moving when speeding up (the gurgle thru the heater core)?

If a sticking stat at idle, would banging on the stat housing free it up?

Seems like you could feel the line going toward heater core (maybe you have hot water and not enough pressure to push it thru a clogged heater core at idle?).

Pix of D2, RR is a similar concept.

Attached Thumbnails No Heat When Idling; Full Heat When Moving-img_20111102_151054d.jpg