General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

M & S lights on dash, air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M & S lights on dash, air suspension

I have a 2001 Land Rover - just owned for a few months - don't have a manual yet. (This is my second Land Rover)

While driving today, a capital M and a capital S started blinking on my dash which freaked me out - I was pulling into a gas station anyway so I got gas and never saw the lights again - Does anyone know what these are ?

Also the back of my Land Rover has SANK - it's sqauting ! Does anyone know how to re-inflate the air suspension (I'm assuming that's the problem)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: M & S lights on dash, air suspension

PM me your tele number, I'll call you and walk you thru what to check.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:54 PM
5th Gear

Update - we did find the air compressor for the air suspension in the back and I think we found the little button to inflate the air suspension - it doesn't seem to be working - with my luck it's got to be the computer. I know shortly before I bought the land rover the computer was serviced to make sure lights went out on the dash. We are thinking about unhooking the battery then hooking that back up to see if this makes any difference at all. Is there a radio code for the 2001 Discovery ? Does anyone know - If you disconnected the battery in my 96 LandRover you had to have a radio code.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 PM
5th Gear

Another Update - We have now unhooked the battery and hooked back up - the service engine light did go off - brake light and TC light are still on - radio works that's good anyway. Back air suspension still not inflating - two other lights onnow seem to pertain to air suspension - they look like little suv's with arrows near the rear of the vehicle. Thinking it's the computer - any ideas? again

Old 08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
5th Gear

Update - when we unhooked the battery - we had to clean the battery postsand the cables - they were very dirty. I read another thread and cleaning the battery cables actuallystopped the M and S lights.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Quit playing with something you have no idea about and return my phone call before you cost your sell into the poor house.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 PM
5th Gear

Excuse me sir but the only thing that we have done is disconnect the battery and clean the posts and battery cables - which were terribly corroded and needed to be cleaned anyway and to my knowledge I have received no phone calls. No messages - nothing on the caller ID.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Then for your trucks benefit, don't do any more to it, PM me your number and a good time for me to call you and I will walk you thru what needs to be looked at.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Overlanding

The most common problem with Land Rover air suspension is leaking air springs. As the leaks grow worse over time, the compressor wears itself out trying to keep up with the leaks. Many fault codes stored in the EAS control unit are caused by air leaks, but the engineers never thought to put a code in the program for a small air leak. The diagnostic program in the control unit has a short list to chose from, so it picks the one that matches the failure the most. Usually, it lists a stuck valve in the valve block, or a stuck pressure switch. Don't believe it. Always start by airing up the system with compressed air and checking the springs for leaks at the top and bottom where the rubber bellows curls up into the lower cone. Use a spray bottle with children's bubble-making liquid on the springs. You may have to work the suspension a bit to expose the leaks. Once the air leaks are corrected, see how long it takes the compressor to fill the system and raise the car off its stops. More than a few minutes, and the compressor has had it.