General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

M and S lights flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M and S lights flashing

Hi All... I had both of these lights flashing when I started the engine. Shut it off and then back on and they were gone.. I read about it in the manual, but wanted some more info,, any help apreciated! Thanks!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: M and S lights flashing

Have you been having battery and or low voltage issues? If so this can trip the lights and not be the tranny.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 PM
4wd Low

If the battery checks out good replace the XYZ switch on the tranny, the a/c drain drips directly onto and into it.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:29 AM
Mudding

hmm ... battery is new.. 5 months old... xyz switch??? is that like the flux capacitor? LOL

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 PM
4wd Low

On the drivers side of the trans, look for the shifter cable, where it connects to the transmission. It is held on by two 10mm bolts, and a 13mm nut to disconnect the cable from the selector shaft, and an electrical connector. This is what tells the computer what gear you are in. I've seen a lot of these go bad and cause what you are explaining, sometimes the trans goes into limp mode also.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

I have an 03 Disco, and I just started having similar problems yesterday. The gearbox bumped at about 50mph, then a few minutes later bumped again at the same speed. My hand was close to the sport mode button, so I thought I may have tapped it. Then the M and S lights started flashing together. As I started to slow down, it seemed like limp mode kicked in, slow speed in high gear (4th says the shop manual). I pulled over, and shut down and turned it back on. Lights went away, and it drove normal again, but happened again 10 minutes later. Same thing, but this time after restart my service light came on.

I didn't have my manual in the car. Called my wife, and she said the book said to take it to the shop, no duh, and that it was an electrical issue with the gearbox. Poured through the shop manual last night, looking at error codes, but don't yet have a code reader.

Drove it again this morning (out of necessity), service light still on, and the M and S lights came on only once during the trip. I drive 10m each way, same trip, but all downhill today.

xyz? would be an easy fix. do you have recommendations for replacement vendors? cost?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
4wd Low

I normally use Atlantic British, but I'm sure there are plenty others out there. Gear position switch P.N. UHB100190G It's 200.00 online, a whole lot more at the dealer. Before you tighten the two 10mm bolts all the way, just snug them enough to have some drag when you move the switch. have someone sit in the car with key on, engine NOT running, in park. The switch is adjustable, just move it til the indicator lights up for park, easier with someone in car watching, then tighten it down. run the shifter through all gears, make sure when you feel the gear engage the indicator for that gear lights at the same time, if all selections light when they are supposed to, you should be good. It really is pretty easy, don't worry.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM
6th Gear
Default Having the same problem

Just got my 03 Disco (83k miles), M and S lights started flashing, check engine light came on, consulted the manual and tried to shut it off/restart. Lights were all still on, so called the dealer and took it to a specialty shop. They advised 'found bad trans computer replaced'.

Drove about 20 miles home, and around another 30 or so going to dinner, lights came back on. Thought both times maybe I hit the mode button, but the rpm's were relatively high, so got it home slowly. Shut it down, M and S lights are off again, but check engine remains.

Any help would be great!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Drifting

Hi all,
Before we throw parts at the trans ( although xzy switches have failed on a few cars ) have someone read out the trans codes first! Parts are expensive! Could be a speed sensor, slipping clutches, open circuit in the valve body, a failing mass air flow sensor, and yes a xyz switch as well. even if you have to pay someone to read them out, it's a lot cheaper then assuming what it could or might be.
The "service engine" light will illuminate if the trans is storing trouble codes as well as the engine ecu. If your "service engine" light is on and there are no codes in the engine ecu, check the trans ecu for codes cause maybe thats why the light is on. M & S lights flashing are a sign that there is a problem occuring at that very moment with the trans. There are many faults the trans ecu is capable of recognizing, read them out before you assume what it could or might be.
A low battery condition can set a fault in the engine and trans, but I have never seen it turn on the warning lights in the 10 years i have worked on disco's. One thing is for sure - A low battery will cause mayhem with anything electric, be sure you have a good one and rated for the aplication.

Thanks!
For what it's worth to ya!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:12 PM
6th Gear

Went to Autozone and the only code that came up was P1601. The guy who tested it wasnt sure what the problem was, but the message read 'serial communication fault'. Any ideas would be very helpful.

My check engine light went off temporarily, but the M and S lights came back on during my drive home and by the time I made it to my driveway, the check engine light was back on.

Quick Reply: M and S lights flashing