General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Major Start-Up Problems with my 96 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Start-Up Problems with my 96 Discovery

Currently, I am having major start up problems. About 3 weeks ago, I attempted to start up after work and the vehicle had sat for about 8-9 hours. It turned over, but would sputter and die after a couple of seconds. I could keep it going for about 5 seconds by pumping the gas pedal, but it would eventually die. After leaving it overnight, it started up the next morning, but the acceleration has been really weak. This problems occurs intermittently every few days.

The fuel pump, fuel filter, catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, and battery cables and connections were replaced about 3 months prior. Took it back to the repair shop(non-dealership repair facility) that did the work, and they could find no electrical or fuel system problems. However, they don't have the capability to do computer diagnostics like the dealer can.

It is currently at the LR Dealership now, and they are only speculating at this point as to what the problem is. They found a hot wire on the fuel pump relay that they fixed, and are going to replace the spark plugs that were covered in soot. The mechanic said that the Bosch plugs are typically not the best choice.

There is also still some noise coming from where the exhaust manifold meets the catalytic converter. The mechanic that replaced it thinks that the exhaust manifold may be warped which is preventing a perfect fit.

If you have any solutions or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Major Start-Up Problems with my 96 Discovery

First of all, the Dealer is wrong about Bosch Platinum plugs. They work great in these vehicles. On your starting/running problem, the Dealer should be aware of the TSB as pasted in below. Maybe you can print this out and put it in front of them. The bottom line is that a EPROM update exists to correct a problem that 1996 & 1997 Discovery's had with a no-start condition that came and went.

Regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

GEMS No Start Security Update TSB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intermittent Failure of Engine to Start
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
DISCOVERY (LJ) All GEMS Equipped
SITUATION:
ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START OR INTERMITTENTLY WILL NOT CRANK
Intermittently the vehicle may not crank or crank and not start. Some or all of the following symptoms may be present:
^ The "Check Engine" light does not illuminate when the key is turned to position II (run).
^ A delay of 3 to 5 seconds between turning the key to position III (crank) and engine cranking.
^ After turning the key off (position I) then on again, the vehicle starts normally.
RESOLUTION:
* MODIFICATION OF THE IMMOBILIZATION STRATEGY *
The symptoms outlined indicate that the engine is temporarily immobilized due to a miscommunication between the security (10AS) ECU and GEMS ECM.
The technician must inspect and verify that two circuits and six electrical terminals are in good condition and working correctly as outlined in the repair instructions. When it is determined by the above electrical inspection that the fault is in the ECU, a security strategy modification can be performed to install the most current security ECU configuration. Use TestBook and the "Discovery Security Configuration" compact disk.
NOTE: The repairs outlined in this TIB are to be performed to resolve customer complaint of the symptoms described.

1. Remove the terminals from the connector housings to inspect the pin and socket terminals and the quality of the wiring crimps for each listed in the illustration.
2. Cautiously deform each pin and socket to improve connection.
3. Assemble connectors.
4. Use an ohmmeter to verify the continuity between the following:
^ C225 position 11 to C1032 position 22.
^ C225 position 15 to C1017 position 26.

5. Verify that neither circuit is short-circuited to vehicle ground.
6. If the tests verify the circuits and connectors are functioning correctly, perform selection of current immobilization strategy using TestBook.

* SELECTION OF CURRENT IMMOBILIZATION STRATEGY *
CAUTION: Any repair procedure that replaces the 10AS ECU will cause the GEMS ECM to relearn the security code. Depending on the configuration of the 10AS ECU installed, the GEMS ECM may re-enable the early immobilization strategy.
NOTE: The "Discovery Security Configuration," CD can be used to install the most current 1998 level of vehicle security. The new level of security will eliminate the intermittent failure-to-start symptom experienced on some 1996 and 1997 vehicles. The 1998 level of security continues to activate the horn and the lights and continues to inhibit engine cranking.