General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

On my third differential.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On my third differential.

Sorry for the trouble but I'm really confused and troubled right now. I have a 2003 land rover discovery with 132k miles. In a period of a month both fron and rear differentials popped I replaced both of them with used ones. What I replaced was the the lid that you take off and that comes attached with the gears. Both my front and rear had the pin popped. My front want was the one to pop and then my rear. When I replaced the rear I could hear a loud popping noise in the front area of the car but only when turning. It went on for a week and today when I turned on my truck and accelerated i heard a loud pop comming from the front my truck went in to limp mode and is now stuck in 3rd gear. I am more than sure that my differential from the front popped. What I'm not sure is why! Any advice will be greatly appriciated!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

What tires are you wearing?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
What tires are you wearing?

They are 275/70/r18 bf goodrich all terrains

Old 10-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Camel Trophy

That's two sizes larger than stock for the 18" wheel. That is why your busting planet gear pins. The Rover open diffs are not the best when put under hard loads with larger tires. I'd suggest air lockers or at minimum posi diffs to stiffen up the diffs. Take a look through this site and read up on the diffs; Ashcroft Transmissions

Old 10-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Three Wheeling

That's two sizes larger than stock for the 18" wheel. That is why your busting planet gear pins. The Rover open diffs are not the best when put under hard loads with larger tires. I'd suggest air lockers or at minimum posi diffs to stiffen up the diffs. Take a look through this site and read up on the diffs; Ashcroft Transmissions
OK so my tires are the problem?? I might have to upgrade diffs. So air lockers will help it? On both rear and front??

Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Well your tires aint helping the diffs. Tiny pins - big tires, guess who wins? Air lockers aint cheap, limited slip and posi's are less expensive and yes. What they do is eliminate the planetary gears which you keep busting and stiffen up the entire third. Then you have to worry about busting axles....... it never ends. How many miles on the thirds you bought?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Well your tires aint helping the diffs. Tiny pins - big tires, guess who wins? Air lockers aint cheap, limited slip and posi's are less expensive and yes. What they do is eliminate the planetary gears which you keep busting and stiffen up the entire third. Then you have to worry about busting axles....... it never ends. How many miles on the thirds you bought?
115000. Ok let me look in to the limited slip and posis!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:33 PM
Camel Trophy

....and read up on the Ashcroft site, lots of good info there. I agree, the thirds don't have THAT many miles, shouldn't be snapping pins. But I have to think it's the tires and the skinny pedal causing your grief. You can't rape these trucks without something going bang in a hurry, not without upgrading your gear. You running a lift too? I would think so with the 275's.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling

....and read up on the Ashcroft site, lots of good info there. I agree, the thirds don't have THAT many miles, shouldn't be snapping pins. But I have to think it's the tires and the skinny pedal causing your grief. You can't rape these trucks without something going bang in a hurry, not without upgrading your gear. You running a lift too? I would think so with the 275's.
Yeah I have a 3 inch lift. And I most admit I do go mudding. Well don't mud I go recover people that are stuck!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Camel Trophy

The thing about the air lockers is they're open until you engage them, you wouldn't notice a difference on the street but a huge difference on the trails. Like I said, they aint cheap and you need a compressor to lock them with. Lots of work and big expense.

Quick Reply: On my third differential.