General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

In need of help with automatic door locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of help with automatic door locks

I have a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II and since I bought it the 2 rear door locks and intermittently the front passenger door lock wouldn't work when using the central locking/unlocking button or from the key fob.

So reading into the issue it sounds like it is fairly common for the locking unit in the door to go out so I thought I would do a process of elimination and taking the working unit out of the drivers door and plug it into the front passenger door to see if it would lock and unlock.

Well it did not and when I plugged it back into the drivers door it wouldn't work there anymore either. When you hit the unlock button the motor budges just slightly but when you hit the lock button nothing happens at all.

I ordered some working actuators and today I replaced the drivers door with a working unit and it has the same issue.

I also checked the fuse just to be sure there weren't any issues there and thats in good shape.

Im led to believe that the only thing left to be wrong is wiring? But I'm no expert so Im seeking the community's advice.

Thanks in advance, Nick

Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you would have to do a search but i remember something like this in the past,
i think you had to lock or unlock the the driver door 5 times with the key to get them back in sync. or something like that.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new developments

So interestingly enough I switched back the lock to the original one and messed with it a bit and now its all working as should be. However today I went to open the door and neither the interior or exterior handles allow the door to open. The door is unlocked, still won't open. Also the key seems to not want to turn to lock or unlock as easy as it should.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I "THINK" if the interior handles are not working you are some how in "super lock"