General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEED HELP FAST! '00 LR Disco Wont Crank. EMERGENCY!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP FAST! '00 LR Disco Wont Crank. EMERGENCY!

Hey Guys,

I figured it was time to suck up the pride and post. This is my first post by the way. I've been a mechanic for 20 years, but I mostly work on domestic, and German cars. Land Rovers are quite new to me. This one is kicking my ***.

Ok, so here goes: I have a 2000 Land Rover Disco. Last week I disconnected the battery for a transmission swap. I thought, no big deal, this is standard operating procedure. Last night I finished getting the trans back in and was in the middle of refilling the transmission. I got up and hooked the battery back up up and went to start the truck. Low and behold, the bastard wouldn't even crank over. Nothing...nada. So i checked the cables, all the fuses, etc...

I ran my scanner and pulled Code P1668. I was like WTF? So I'm thinking this damn alarm has just immobilized me. I searched the forums all night feverishly for answers, I tried everything that was suggested in previous posts. I went to http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/becm/replace.html and tried all of their tactics as well. Friggin' nothin' works.

So, I'm sitting here with a Disco with a brand new trans, and no way to start it. I even checked the fuel inertia switch. Let me clarify this, when I turn the key, it won't even crank. So I am at a loss of what to do. Blow this beast up? Or can my fellow land rover geniuses solve the problem? Whoever figures this one out for me, I will be happy to mail you a $10 gift certificate to a place of your choosing. Thanks in advance guys.

Gabe

Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Try 2 things, reset the inerita switch on the passengers fire wall near the heater hoses and then use the key to lock and unlock the door 3 times to reset the alarm.
Let me know how it goes.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply disco mike. I tried. Neither worked

Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
6th Gear

I open to anymore suggestions

Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Is the transmission shift linkage on the transmission in the park position? You might remove the shift cable from the lever, and move the lever manually to be sure.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
6th Gear

I will try that and get back to you

Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Unfortunately if the battery is disconnected for to long you run the risk of the BCU and ECU loosing their memory and no longer talking to each other and you are in effect locked out because the alarm will not let the truck start.
The alarm has a starter interrupt as well as a fuel pump cut off.
The only cure is a trip to the stealer...on a flat bed.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the help. Is there any way of replacing the ecu and bcu? Would that make any difference? I'm not familiar with how it really works. Or can they only be reprogrammed at the stealership. Any more info would be of help. I've tested everything and that seems like it could be the culprit.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM
4wd Low

check your starter. i had a similar problem and it worked.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
6th Gear

All right guys. Thanks for your help. I went back and took the starter off to clean and bench test. It checked out ok. I also cleaned the terminals, but now I have a new question.

On the starter harness there are three wires. The positive starter wire. The control wire that plugs into the solenoid, and this black 2 terminal plug that plugs into a senor on the engine block just above the starter. I'm not sure what this is, but it looks like maybe a knock sensor. Regardless of what it is, it is on the starter harness and one of the wires was broke clean off.

So my question is: What sensor is this, and would it cause a no crank condition? Thanks, any help would be appreciated. I checked the RAVE manual but couldn't track it down.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP FAST! '00 LR Disco Wont Crank. EMERGENCY!