General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need some encouragement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some encouragement.

debating on swapping out my '03 transfer case for an '04 i've got sitting in my buddies garage, or putting it off until warmer weather arrives.
my plan is to just swap the entire thing out, rather than just changing out the locking part. is this the easiest option? it seems easiest to me.
if i start it tomorrow i may not be ready to go wheeling on sunday, and i really want to go, but it'd be nice to have the locking diff given all the rain we've gotten.
any advice is much appreciated. pretty sure i'm gonna jump into it tomorrow.
jon

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Swap the whole unit and then sell yours.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nahtanoj
debating on swapping out my '03 transfer case for an '04 i've got sitting in my buddies garage, or putting it off until warmer weather arrives.
my plan is to just swap the entire thing out, rather than just changing out the locking part. is this the easiest option? it seems easiest to me.
if i start it tomorrow i may not be ready to go wheeling on sunday, and i really want to go, but it'd be nice to have the locking diff given all the rain we've gotten.
any advice is much appreciated. pretty sure i'm gonna jump into it tomorrow.
jon
Easy is a relative term, if you have access to a lift and a trans jack, it's not too bad of a job to swap the transfer cases, I've read on the forum here that some have done it with a floor jack and jackstands but having done a number of them I don't relish that idea. You have to tilt the engine/transmission assembly down at an angle to get the transfer case to clear the obstructions as you pull it back off the transmission. Also, if I was doing it, I'd replace the intermediate seal between the transfer and transmission.