General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need some Gems Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Default need some Gems Help

i have 99 4.0 range rover ran extremely good until Sat. night. took a 40 mile run no problems, shut it off it restated when about 30ft took a left and it stalled.

quite unusually it did not restart, i notice the low few light came on when i tried to restart it so I dumped some gas in it, do difference. just cranks.

I have checked all the fuses under the hood and under the passenger seat am i missing any others?

I climbed under and check the fuel filter, it was not blocked and had gas on both sides of it.

But i have no fuel at the rail I tried to reset the inertia switch it didn't not seem tripped still no luck.

So the fuel pump is not running, i check the I/S with a test light and found no power.
does the I/S control power or ground? the reason i ask is because when i touch one wire with my test light the bells and whistle for the dash start to go chime. so i'm thing it most control ground.

any other idea besides the KPS? it there a way to check power to the pump without dropping the tank?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

There is a write up on rangerovers.net on cutting an access panel in the floor board under the seat. I tried once but gave up as my grinder wheel was going nowhere fast.

I forget what tool they recommended.

I'm guessing with low fuel and the turn the pump ran dry and burned out.

Good luck

Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

thanks, I will check it out.
it really wasn't out of gas though i threw a couple gallons gas in it and it when up to a quarter, and the light wasn't on until after it stalled, i think it was the angle it stopped on