General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New member with question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with question

New to the forum. We don't currently own a Land Rover but this weekend my wife was in an accident and I suspect that our 2003 Trailblazer LTZ will be written off as totaled.

I have wanted a Disco 2 or Range Rover for years and saw that a local used car dealer had a 2001 HSE rover that was converted from air bag suspension to coils for sale and thought I would research i closer.

I would likely take it for myself and give her our Yukon XL. I have read of numerous electrical issues with the P38's. My question is are these annoying issues like a door lock not working by the switch or are these debilitating and costly? Under more a more normal situation I wouldn't be worried but having two college tuitions and now the added expense of having to raise my house due to Hurricane Sandy so cash flow and savings aren't what they are normally.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Farmingdales Finest
New to the forum. We don't currently own a Land Rover but this weekend my wife was in an accident and I suspect that our 2003 Trailblazer LTZ will be written off as totaled.

I have wanted a Disco 2 or Range Rover for years and saw that a local used car dealer had a 2001 HSE rover that was converted from air bag suspension to coils for sale and thought I would research i closer.

I would likely take it for myself and give her our Yukon XL. I have read of numerous electrical issues with the P38's. My question is are these annoying issues like a door lock not working by the switch or are these debilitating and costly? Under more a more normal situation I wouldn't be worried but having two college tuitions and now the added expense of having to raise my house due to Hurricane Sandy so cash flow and savings aren't what they are normally.

Thanks in advance!
Generally speaking, the Land Rover products IMHO all suffer from electrical issues that Range (pardon the pun) from mildly annoying and not too terribly expensive to repair all the way up to damn near impossible to diagnose and extremely costly to repair. If you are truly short on funds, it might be best for you to steer clear of LR products only because.....and anyone I think on this forum would agree that....you WILL have both mechanical and electrical issues that will require some level of financial investment to rectify on an old LR. If you do decide to invest in an old RRC, P38 or Disco I or II, then, definitely bookmark this website and rely upon these experienced members (not calling myself that mind you) to offer advice, tips and tricks to keep it running. One last thing: have whatever vehicle you are considering purchasing thoroughly gone over by a trusted technician (LR or other) and that will hopefully prevent you from having to dump hundreds or thousands into the vehicle right away.......

Cheers, SMD

Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Buy 2 of the same car. One to drive and one for parts and practice. Kind of joking, but not...

Old 03-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abran
Buy 2 of the same car. One to drive and one for parts and practice. Kind of joking, but not...
In my realm he's not joking. I have 2
If you don't go mudding on the weekends and it is or has been garage kept plus the fresh air plenum is not cracked Electrical problems are not that bad.
If you decide to look at it have an experienced with Land Rovers mechanic do an inspection on it to find out what shape it's in.
Almost everyone on here will tell you to get a professional opinion on the specific vehicle. Or any vehicle for that matter.

I tinker with mine quite a bit, I even did a head gasket job on the 99 myself with help from my grandson. If you like that kind of thing they can be fun. Don't ever take to a dealer most are a ripoff. Folks on here call it the stealership.
Good luck in your decision

Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 PM
5th Gear

Thanks guys for the info.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:28 PM
5th Gear

We got the results from the insurance adjuster today and they totaled the trailblazer. My wife is upset about because she loved the truck but the upside is after having it for over 8 years we got more than 25% of what we paid for it so it will make a nice down payment on something else.