General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Rover owner. I bought one of these almost sight unseen. Doesn't run. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:07 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha! Good point! I think she poured a ton on money in it, had new tires put on it and then this so she bought a new car. Honestly, I can't blame her. With no ability to get it going other than the dealer and one local enthusiast this thing would get expensive quick. I've just been throwing ideas around but.... if I can't figure this out, I may attempt to use fords 5.0 engine management. I assume this thing needs premium because it doesn't provide enough fuel or the timing curves are too aggressive. Ford mass air stuff is plentiful, cheap and basic. I don't have the knowledge to take a computer apart and reprogram it. I can't stand wiring but I do have the knowledge to do it. I'd be curious what other engines I could stuff in this thing keeping the stock trans and/or t-case.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

2007 and up Chevy half ton with an LS 5.7L motor and 6L80E works and a guy makes an adapter to fit the LT230 transfer case. It's well documented; GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Defender Source

It would be just a touch cheaper to get a key made by a Land Rover dealer........ OR a semi-talented locksmith. I can tell ya from lotsa experience, if you rush this something is going to be learned the hard way. Take your time to get the non-door key issue figured out, you've got another week right?

Does she have the fob? If she does and it needs a battery replace it. To resync it just press any of the buttons four times quickly.

You need a manual to go along with this short bus; landroverresource.com - your looking for the "Rave" which is the service manual and has all things wonderful including the resync which I just posted. It's a 590mb download and has an owners manual as well. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to read it. Well worth the download...... I've been using it for eight years and still learn new things.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 AM
4wd Low

Good points. I'll have to get to a computer. I work a lot and sell some stuff on eBay so I just have a smart phone for now. I've been itching to ls swap something but was. Leaning toward a Mustang or other late model hot rod. I'm sure I'd pay a premium for a locksmith on a Sunday. I may end up just dragging it home on a car dolly. It's really inconvenient working on something 50 miles from my tool box in a parking lot. Again, I really appreciate your input. I'm having trouble understanding all this gen 1, gen 2 and overflow from one gen or year to the next. I keep seeing it mentioned but no actual break down. I hate to be the new guy asking dumb questions but this thing is a new can of worms for me!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

2007 and up is Generation 4 and I agree on what you said. If you do drag it home put the transfer case in neutral too, it's a full time four wheel drive vehicle! You don't want it to giddy up on the tow dolly........lol. I personally would remove the front shaft just to be safe but that's me. I feel your pain, can't live without my box by me. You can try disabling the alarm by having the hood completely closed (cuz there's an alarm switch in the engine bay), get inside and lock the door and try the unlock/lock thing 3 times or whatever to see if it'll knock it off? CharlieV made a good point on the other alarm post.....

I'll give ya a little story about what I'm doing and you can see for yourself, even us seasoned vets screw up. I bought a Saturn with the 1.9 DOHC for $50 cuz it popped the timing chain and bent a few valves. Had the head milled and flat faced valves installed to up the compression to 10.0:1. Installed the cams bassackwards - rushing. Did a compression test when wouldn't start and was certain I bent valves again. Never double checked the timing marks on chain or gears. I reinstalled the cams in right order and still no go - cuz I did the swap with chain cover on - lazy. So this weekend I popped the head, zero bent valves....... the pole barn is spotless though, spent a couple of days cleaning, with some burnt orange **** it would look like a living-room. Moral of the story - stupid is what stupid does.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:12 AM
4wd Low

Oh yeah. It's always something. I tend to over look the obvious and just jump in. Or decide I should do this or that while I have it apart and end up tearing it all down and throwing a bunch of money at it. Doing head gaskets? Might as well have the heads redone. If I'm doing the heads anyway, I might as well put better springs on them and stuff a bigger cam in it.