General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie 01 disco won't start not getting spark or gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:17 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie 01 disco won't start not getting spark or gas

Hi new to the forums any help would be greatly appreciated! The disco had been sitting for around 6 months not started or anything, went to jump start it two days ago and it started right up! Then moved it parked it to run in house and grab something and it's not running I'm not sure if I turned off or it died! Went to jump again and it just cranks. It's not getting fuel can't hear fuel pump and it's not getting spark. Lights work, Windows work. Get codes P1842, P1843, Read something about ecu not communicating with another part, but of course can't find that again!

Old 06-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a crankshaft sensor. I'd clear the faults and let it cool down. Charge the battery and try again later in the day. Crankshaft sensors provide reference for spark timing. Without a signal, you won't get spark.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:04 PM
4wd High

Thank you, I removed error codes last night and unhooked battery til this morning went and hooked battery back up and plugged code reader back in and got same codes.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:53 PM

Did you charge the battery and then trying starting it again?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:30 AM
4wd High

Yeah I did try that. Would bad crankshaft position sensor cause no spark and no fuel?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:08 AM

When you say you try it, I assume this not starting.

A crankshaft sensor only provides crankshaft position info to the Engine computer.

Why do you think you have no fuel? Did you check the fuel pressure?
A engine needs the air, fuel and spark to run. If you don't have spark, fix this first. You can always add fuel with carb cleaner into the intake for testing. You can also remove the spark plugs after cranking and smell them for fuel.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:20 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by BritishautoworksSD
When you say you try it, I assume this not starting.

A crankshaft sensor only provides crankshaft position info to the Engine computer.

Why do you think you have no fuel? Did you check the fuel pressure?
A engine needs the air, fuel and spark to run. If you don't have spark, fix this first. You can always add fuel with carb cleaner into the intake for testing. You can also remove the spark plugs after cranking and smell them for fuel.
It just cranks. Won't turn over. Sprayed starting fluid into air cleaner it started for a min but sputtered out. I took fuel line apart right after the tank and had someone turn key and didn't spray fuel or anything. Put screwdriver in a wire and placed against metal and no spark.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:22 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Chief31175
It just cranks. Won't turn over. Sprayed starting fluid into air cleaner it started for a min but sputtered out. I took fuel line apart right after the tank and had someone turn key and didn't spray fuel or anything. Put screwdriver in a wire and placed against metal and no spark.
So you think I should try a new crankshaft sensor first? Where is it located?

Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 AM
TReK
Received 782 Likes on 649 Posts

Did you check the fuel pump relay and fuse?
If it ran for a moment with starter fluid then you're getting at least some spark. Deal with the fuel first, then address any misfire issues.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by mollusc
Did you check the fuel pump relay and fuse?
If it ran for a moment with starter fluid then you're getting at least some spark. Deal with the fuel first, then address any misfire issues.
No I have not checked the fuel pump relay, but will do so when I get off work, I have checked all fuses and we're all ok.
Thank you

Quick Reply: Newbie 01 disco won't start not getting spark or gas