General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More great tips. I've never had any vehicle up on a ramp and certainly not on the same side of a vehicle. That should be an adventure!!

As I said, I'm a newbie at this. Ducati's I can dig into without hesitation but I'm not much of a car or Rover mechanic.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Always chock wheels.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if anyone elses does this but when changing the oil I found placing a piece of cardboard about 4in away from the drain plug when opening it up keeps oil from going everywhere. I was in my auto shop class and we had my disco up on a brand new 4 post lift and when I opened the drain plug oil shot out about 8in horizontally and overshot the oil pan.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Wiper Blades

Need to replace the blades on my "new" Rover and I'm not having any luck, I've gone to three different auto parts places and bought what was listed for my 1999 Disco 2 and when I try them none of them fit.

I found Atlantic British in the US that sells the kit for front and back blades, delivered to Canada for about $50. Can anyone tell me if there are any other options here in Canada? Is there a cross over part from another manufacturer that will work?

Thanks for your help, once again.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Heater not working now....

Ok, I know you guys are going to rip a new one for this but here goes....

I was aware when I bought my "new" 1999 Disco that there was a slight weep from the head gasket, near the back of the engine by the firewall, on the pass side. The weep is very slight but was bothering me so I decided to try using the coolant leak powder from Prestone. Now all of a sudden the heater is not working.

Is this a result of opening the coolant cap to add the Prestone powder? I know when I slowly opened the coolant cap, I could hear pleasure being released. Do I need to just bleed the system as per the "bleed the coolant system" thread?

Thanks again for any help... I hope I didn't hurt my Disco......

Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

No, young Jedi, it is a combination of previous owner using tap water, or worse, well water, which allows calcium to form inside the heater core and the tubes of the radiator. The sealant has decided those crevices need attention, and is doing the best job it can to plug those up as well.

Please flush your system and refill with fresh coolant, 50/50 premix, a green color or yellow color, but no Dexcool. Burp air as needed. If your 99 is a D2, it has the coolant going thru the heater core all the time. If it can't go thru there because of a clog, it may impact the when the thermostat opens, as it can change the flow of sampled hot coolant to the stat. Easy to remove lines headed that way under hood and reverse direction flush (D1 or D2). If a D2, you may want to replace thermostat, or at least remove and check for obstruction by sludge.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie question.-land%2520rover%2520thermostat%2520005.jpg   Newbie question.-dexcool.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.PDF (202.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks again Sav Buzz. Flush the system? Is that as simple as unscrewing a drain plug and then refilling it back up? I don't see a drain plug on that diagram.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

You are correct again. You must release a hose clamp.

Not to make light of your situation, but the complete factory tech manuals are available from free download, and are the same things that guide even the most superior Rover Doctors of Discology. Worth the time to download and figure out how to navigate.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Just downloaded it. I'll study up and try to figure out the procedure before asking anymore questions. thanks for the help.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Quick Reply: Newbie question.