General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No power steering - AEB not avaiable, power assist not avaiable, foward alert not ava

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2024 | 10:36 AM
|
7th Gear
Default No power steering - AEB not avaiable, power assist not avaiable, foward alert not ava

2017 RRS Diesel 70k miles

Drove car through some water outside my home. Parked car and next day parking brake was stuck gave it some gas and it relased. Then I noticed the steering wheel was very hard to move. Then the warning lights showed up on dash

Power assist not avaiable
AEB not avaiable
Foward alert not avaiable

disconnected battery didnt help. Took car for a drive and the steering started to work and warning mssages turned off. Then a few minutes later the issues cam back. The problem would come and go for a few miles then eventually it stayed.

I checked the battery and it was holding charge, 12.4 with car off, 14.5 with car running.

I got a bunch of code please see here.

https://resources.repairsolutions.co...2024095307.pdf
Any help or advise would is greatly appreciated

Old 10-10-2024 | 11:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Apparently, the water caused a partial grounding. When I recently installed a new battery it was only at 8 volts and I got a whole list of "not available" warnings.

Since you ran through water and got similar listings, my bet is systems were not getting full voltage due to water grounding. Check low-lying areas where water might be accumulated. Blow dry damp areas.

Old 10-11-2024 | 09:28 AM
|
7th Gear

Thank uyou for the reply.

I checked everything and all seems dry. Had the blower and hood open over nooght when I noticed this issue. I also too all connectors off the rack and pinion, dried and cleaned. Still no functioning. I am forced to use the car without powewr steering and it is very difficult. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Old 10-11-2024 | 09:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Have you tried to start it up with jumpers/charger and see if you get any warnings? I'm not expert and only going from my experience but sure seems the water and problem are related. Maybe blew some fuses?

Old 10-11-2024 | 09:37 AM
|
7th Gear

i have not tied it with jumper cables, but I did put the battery on a charger to top it off. I checked some fuses but I couldnt find any that werre specific for the components I am having issues with.

Old 10-11-2024 | 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling

With all the computer integrations on these things electrical issues are hard to pin down. I imagine with the recent hurricanes there will be similar posts here. Maybe someone else has more specific information. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Sebas54 (10-11-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 12:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sebas54
i have not tied it with jumper cables, but I did put the battery on a charger to top it off. I checked some fuses but I couldnt find any that werre specific for the components I am having issues with.
Given the list of problems, it's more likely to be a module rather than individual items.

Old 10-13-2024 | 01:00 PM
|
7th Gear

Thnak you.

I have been driving the car (only when needed) and just muscling the steering wheel to change directioon. I have noticed now that the steerging wheel is wobbly ...Can the steering wheel (itself) break loose, leving me with no steeering?

Old 10-13-2024 | 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sebas54
Thnak you.

I have been driving the car (only when needed) and just muscling the steering wheel to change directioon. I have noticed now that the steerging wheel is wobbly ...Can the steering wheel (itself) break loose, leving me with no steeering?
just a guess, but driving with the servo motor not turning could have broken the servo motor or gear teeth which might loosen the connection.
i wouldn't want to drive it that way. I would at least get things diagnosed by a reliable independent.