General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ntsha

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ntsha

I am surprised to not find any complaints filed with NISHA regarding front lower control arm problems in Land Rovers. It sure seems to be a systemic problem affecting multiple model years and multiple models. Land Rover must know the magnitude of the problem by the number of parts sold.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Why would there be. It's a bushing that wears out. Bushings do that.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Yeah but bushings should not wear out in 50 k miles or less, the bigger concern is diffs that are shot before the first suggested service mileage

Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Why would there be. It's a bushing that wears out. Bushings do that.
Seriously. I think it's a design problem when a front suspension bushing fails or wears out on a vehicle with less than 50k miles on it. Moreover these vehicles are sold as rugged off road capable and these parts are failing during normal highway driving. What's more multiple model years and models are involved. If you are satisfied that's normal, good for you.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

NHTSA cares about catastrophic failure issues. The point I was making is the bushing is not a catastrophic failure. It gives a ton of warning it's going out. When it goes out you can continue to drive for a period before a catastrophic failure should you choose to ignore it.

I did not say it was a good design or that I think it is a standard for it to fail every 50k. I just don't see why the NHTSA would care.

Seems that most people running the poly bush replacements are seeing a great improvement on longevity of the bush.

Let's be honest that bushing is not land rover's greatest failing