General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oops lost a valve cover gasket ring in the block

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016 | 11:45 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Oops lost a valve cover gasket ring in the block

Well I started a coil pack, wire and plug replacement today. along with a leaky valve cover gaskets, the drivers side went fine but one of the four rings in the passenger side gasket fell. Luckily I have a new valley pan gasket so I pulled the lower plenum and the pan to find no ring. I'm not a fan on the ring or these soft gaskets. So what I did the put a 24mm socket on the main pully and on the first crank I heard it fall very low but made only one noise and my oil pan is full so it must have landed on the baffel in the oil pan. Tomorrow I'm going to drain it with a stocking and see if I can find the raig. Any advice would be great thanks guys

Old 10-09-2016 | 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling

The oil pan being cast aluminum will allow magnetic force to flow through it. You may be able to direct the ring towards the drain hole with a very strong magnet. Or, with the intake manifold off, dump a bunch of diesel fuel through there to wash it out. Good luck.