General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

P/s low beams, dash, temp control lights out why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/s low beams, dash, temp control lights out why?

2001 discovery
I checked all my fuses and they are all good. the bulbs are fine. grounds are fine. what else could it be?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have taillights working? It could be a "gunked up" signal light arm/stalk. The contacts in the plastic housing at the base of the arm/stalk has slide contacts with some kind of grease that becomes a mess and does not make contact in all the positions correctly. You can remove it, disassemble, clean wipe off the contacts and then shine them up with some emory cloth. I cannot remember what I put back in on the contacts, and then reassemble. Not really to bad, I can do it in 15 minutes now. Just be careful popping/prying the contact housing apart and observer the contacts orientation when you take it apart.

The other option is to get a used D1/D2 stalk from used parts guys. I got a used one, and then cleaned up my original, tested it, and now carry a spare. TO REMOVE: Three screws under the plastic cow around the steering column, then top and bottom snap apart, with minor catches on each side. Then turn steering wheel 90 degrees and you can get a small phillips tipped screw driver to the base of the stalk on the left of the column, a screw top and bottom. Once these small screws are out, you will need to wiggle the base while holding it firm and pulling to the side toward the drivers door straight out. I will see if I can find some pics or a link to where I found pics. I think if you Google Land Rover Discovery light stalk repair or replace, or something like that you may be able to find the details with pics.

Now, this may not be the issue in your case, but I would guess it is, and if not this will prevent an issue. My problem was no lights in the speedo/gauge area and no taillights.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 05-22-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

For your right side head lamp low beam, meter from fuse 10 to frame ground. Should be 12 volts plus when switch is turned on. If not fuse, then perhaps fuse link (the fuses that bolt in). Or switch as already mentioned.

For dash lights, consider fuses, fuse links, and the dimmer.

If you were doing other electrical work and had a short... check under hood fuse box as well, some fuse links are ahead of several single fuses under the dash.

The RAVE circuits manual is your friend.