General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Paranoid !!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:06 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paranoid !!!!!!!!!!!!

OK ....when I see drops of fluidunder the car, I freak....I am seeing coolant drips,and I check the fluids religously. The resevoir is going down about 1/2 `` every 2 weeks. Oil level is good, no wet spots around heads, no steam blowing out the exhaust. I did the valley pan gasket job a year ago and there is no leak back there. I did all the rad hoses, new water pump,thermostat,seafoam trick,that little thingy on the right side plenum/throttle body was changed. Now I have orange drips on the ground and I took the oil filler cap off and it is wet inside.I dry it out and drive it and take it off and it is wet inside again. Its cold like -24 and I hope that is normal condensation. Freakin drips [:@][:@][:@][:@] am I paranoid???????

Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Paranoid !!!!!!!!!!!!

Crawl under your truck with a flash light and see what you find. Other wise fill the coolant bottle to the top, when cold and then go have a coolant pressure test run to find your leak.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 PM
7th Gear

So thatI won t scare my local shady tree mechanic shop who have never seen a LandRover.....does the mech just hook up his gauge and see if it loses pressure?............I have never seen it done, so is that about right?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If your mechanic doesn't know how to do a coolant pressure test, find a new mechanic.
You would probably be better off going to a radiator shop and having them test it.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
7th Gear

do you think he wil have the right thingy / adaptorto screw onto the resevoir. Is it a standard test of 8lbs pressure to hold for 2 minutes?? These guys inour town know more about combine harvesters than suv s , let alone a Landy

Old 11-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Drifting

My 96 Discovery has all new gaskets etc,all redone still leaks oil,can't find it