General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Parking Brake Required to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Required to Start?

First time poster here...bought a 97 Discovery (gasoline type) back in January. Great daily driver until the immobilizer engaged on a battery change. It sat for weeks, eventually disengaged itself (?).

Long story short...Initially, I now cannot start the vehicle without the parking brake in the up position. There is a slight spark that comes from the area where the cable meets the handle when it is pulled up. It runs fantastic once it starts, however, the parking brake gets hotter than a frying pan.

This is the only relevant thread I have found on the forum:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tenance-33324/

I have the dash and center console completely disassembled. I have traced every ground I can find and checked every fuse. The after market radio didn't work when I bought it. Upon disassembly of the dash, I found the worst wiring hack job of a radio I have ever seen. There was some sort of hot loop between two of the fuses as well.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? (Yes, I am aware of the extreme fire hazard).

Old 05-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you still have a bad ground somewhere,the truck is using you e-brake as a ground path to test the engine ground run a booster cable from the engine to - on the battery and see if it will start.