General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which part of my alternator is not working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which part of my alternator is not working?

Guys

Hi!!! last week I was ending some maintenance work in my Discovery 94, pushed the gas pedal and voila!, the tachometer stopped working. Well.. after troubleshooting, found that my alternator was not working. Took it out today, but now do not know which part to replace. I do not want to replace the whole alternator because this car is a hobby for me, and the challenge is try to end a lot of pending repairs spending the less I can.

The alternator seems to be a Marelli. How can I diagnose the coils, rectifier, regulator and brushes in order to find out which part to replace? Is there a kit of rectifier and regulator for this alternator?

before taking out the alt, I disconnected the 100 amps fuse, started the engine and measured the volts that the alt was generating. I remember it was about 2.5.

All your knowledge will be welcome!

Disco Mike: Do you have a guide/link with information to diagnose wich part of the alt is not working?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by johnkbl; 11-16-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added notification to the tread.