General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please Help!!! I Need Answers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!! I Need Answers!!!

Hello to everyone on the forum and thank you for your time. I have only within the past month become a Rover enthusiast and am trying very hard to not regret my recent decision to buy a 2000 Land Rover Discover 2 from a private seller. After purchasing it, I immediately had it serviced and checked, and it seemed that everything was perfect. Loved it. Great decision so far. Then, very unexpectedly, came the issue of serious overheating when going a simple three miles down the road. This persisted, and after racking my brain I went as far as to think there might be a possible problem with the thermostat or with head gaskets. Well, here's where the confusion starts. According to three technicians and even the local dealership, my car should not even be having the problem because all of the above parts in question were replaced only days before my purchase. I'm told to simply "add coolant." The head itself is also in pristine condition. Finally, two days ago, it overheats very unexpectedly to the point that it completely shuts down while at a traffic light, coolant boiling over, and now cannot even be cranked at all. I had it towed to my home twenty miles away, where it is still sitting right now. ....the entire time, every certified mechanic in my area saying, "I can't find a cause for this." I'm in love with this car and want her back on the road if at all possible.

I've joined this forum as a last resort. Thank you to anyone who may have some advice! Best of luck! Drake

Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you take the vehicle in to have it looked at, or just ask for their thoughts and opinions over the phone. I for one, have seldom had success at diagnosing and never repaired a vehicle over the phone.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you checked the coolant level, was there sufficient coolant? Did you add a 50/50 mix of coolant and water?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like you fried the engine the last time you overheated it.
These engines are all aluminum and they will self destruct if overheated.
Remove the spark plugs and see if there is coolant in any of the cylinders.
Report back with what you find.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang. Intense overheating.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Po' lil tink tink...hacked.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by DrakeB
Hello to everyone on the forum and thank you for your time. I have only within the past month become a Rover enthusiast and am trying very hard to not regret my recent decision to buy a 2000 Land Rover Discover 2 from a private seller. After purchasing it, I immediately had it serviced and checked, and it seemed that everything was perfect. Loved it. Great decision so far. Then, very unexpectedly, came the issue of serious overheating when going a simple three miles down the road. This persisted, and after racking my brain I went as far as to think there might be a possible problem with the thermostat or with head gaskets. Well, here's where the confusion starts. According to three technicians and even the local dealership, my car should not even be having the problem because all of the above parts in question were replaced only days before my purchase. I'm told to simply "add coolant." The head itself is also in pristine condition. Finally, two days ago, it overheats very unexpectedly to the point that it completely shuts down while at a traffic light, coolant boiling over, and now cannot even be cranked at all. I had it towed to my home twenty miles away, where it is still sitting right now. ....the entire time, every certified mechanic in my area saying, "I can't find a cause for this." I'm in love with this car and want her back on the road if at all possible.

I've joined this forum as a last resort. Thank you to anyone who may have some advice! Best of luck! Drake
That's a bummer story. It may be time to look for a new engine if it can't be turned over at all, that engine is toast. If it cranks over you might be able to get away with rebuilding the heads...

I would have offered gunked out radiator as causing your overheat, which will cut fluid flow no matter the pristine condition of all other cooling system components. Speedilube can back flush it while changing the fluids, and your back on the road good as new.

Try to get it to crank over. If it does, you most certainly have a cracked head gasket (fingers crossed it's not a cracked head). If you pull the dipstick and unscrew the oil filler cap, are they coated with a light rust colored film (steam from the radiator fluid leaking into the oil passages)? If you pull all your plugs as suggested earlier in thread, and any of them look steam cleaned (NOT covered with a brown or black deposits), that's a sure sign you've atleast blown out a head gasket. It's not a job you can not do yourself with a little time and patience.

Good luck.