General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To Proceed to Head Gaskets or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default To Proceed to Head Gaskets or Not?

Reference my 99 Disco I...

From folks who have ACTUALLY DONE IT THEMSELVES ONLY (please)...

Is it worth it to go all the way and swap in new head gaskets if I'm already at the point of intake manifold gaskets?

The manual makes it out to be easy as pie and it sure seems simple enough. Almost TOO simple though....like a TRAP!!

My HG's are NOT leaking best I can tell. But there's 180k on this baby. Intake gaskets looked original and worn the FK out, while rocker cover gaskets were upgraded at some point to the new rubber style.

If manifold gaskets are original then the HG's gotta be too, right? There's no work around on that I can see?? Could HG's last 180K in our trucks?

I've seen time and time again that as you restore full pressures to a system the next weakest points seem to fail and I sure as HELL do NOT want to go thru all the time, effort, and MONEY to have to turn around and re-do it all again.

Opinions please....

TY in advance!!

Old 11-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

W 180k they most likely aren't original. Consensus is they go out at about 80-100k. They are technically a wear item. Keep in mind you will need to have the heads checked to be sure they are perfectly straight. Then there is the question of valve seals etc...then you could easily do the timing cover and the oil pump..hell then the timing chain....You'd be 3/4 away from a cam swap...See the problem? The head gaskets on these trucks aren't that hard. Most guys do them in a weekend. I did a set in a week just a couple hours a day after work. I also cleaned everything. Fixed extra stuff.

I call this a case of the "might as wells". I suffer greatly from this disease. "I'm already doing this so i might as well do this"... I am guilty of turning a simple brake job into pads rotors and bearings.

It just depends on what you want to do. Depends on your budget. How much down time can the truck have? Is it a keeper indefinitely? If so are you going to think about doing an engine rebuild at any point? If so just leave them and get parts together for that big project.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with shiftonthefly as how far do you want to go. Personally I have done over 50 head gasket replacements w/o getting crazy (including my own D2) with good results.It's all a matter of how far do you want to go.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dougwrench55
I have to agree with shiftonthefly as how far do you want to go. Personally I have done over 50 head gasket replacements w/o getting crazy (including my own D2) with good results.It's all a matter of how far do you want to go.
I think I'll second that. I'm gonna hold off and stop at the intake manifold gaskets and seals.

I don't see any current issues with them anyways. No leaks I can see.

Probably stop here as far as the "engine" is concerned and start saving for the inevitable new block I'm gonna end up putting in her down the line....
I will never sell this truck.
Love er too much.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that is the inevitable question where do you stop

Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided to replace my head gaskets because I had a massive coolant leak at the back of the engine and a misfire on cylinder 8. After disassembling everything I found my head gaskets were fine but on the way down I founf