General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Putting 4.0 into a 94 LWB

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007 | 11:47 PM
|
5th Gear
Default Putting 4.0 into a 94 LWB

Opinions/experience & advice sought:

My 94 LWB classic with a 4.2 engine needs a head gasket job - possibly cam followers valves etc. Hard to say until it is all stripped and inspected. My local aftermarket service shop is estimating between $3K-$3600 depending on what is found once the heads are off. I have read that after taking the heads off there is a risk of the bore sleeves in the aluminum block coming loose and basically wrecking the engine. This is not something that is going to be warrantied against by my mechanic. So, that is a lot of money and a significant risk. So I thought I'd see what a rebuilt engine would cost me and then do a swap. One experienced (and namesless) vendor suggested I put in a 4.0 as they had a lot of people coming back with 3.9 & 4.2's with dropped sleeves within 6-18 months of doing heads etc.

The can supply a rebuilt 4.0 with the appropriate gaskest etc. to do a direct swap of my 4.2. $3995, plus another $400 for shipping and the installation kit. Apparently it lines up fine with the ZF and Borg Warner configuration.

I find this somewhat attractive as an option. From what I have read the 4.0 is basically a vastly improved 3.9 block and head. Has anyone here done this? Heard of this? Will the wiring and onboard ECU hook up the same way? Are things liek the water p[ump, power steering all the same and in the same location How long will it take me to do an engine swap? I have access to a decent vehicle shop and some very experienced hot rod building friends that would help with a swap out, but won't touch Rover head jobs.

Basically is this a good way to proceed? or is this going to make more issues for me - do I risk being out thousands and have a wrecked motor and stick with the 4.2 and do the heads!!!???

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 01-31-2007 | 01:35 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Putting 4.0 into a 94 LWB

How many miles on your truck, send me your phone number and I'll call you.
Mike