General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear end and suspension advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end and suspension advice needed

So I finally got my Discovery!!! It's a bit of a project and I am enjoying it thoroughly, I have a giant laundry list of maintenance and repairs some of which I am performing myself, and some of which I will end up leaving to the local experts at the Land Rover private shop. Although I have a high speed vibration and the tires that came on it were bald on the inside edges.. I have been looking at all possibilities and even though it sounds pretty rare I think my something in the back of the vehicle is out of whack, it may have been in an accident where it was hit on the rear wheel, I am not totally sure of it's history, but one of the rear wheels looks like it's "toe out" and is certainly a completely different camber than the other rear wheel.. I am having it checked more thoroughly in the next couple of days by a local body shop I know and trust for the final verdict on what is bent but in the mean time, can anyone list the rear ends (radius arms, springs, differential, etc) that will swap off easily with my 2001 SE7? the truck originally had air springs, but they have been swapped for conventional ones. There are a few complete discoveries being parted out locally but I would like to know what model years will be easiest to work with if I need to change it up.

Thanks is advance for your help and advice!!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

99-04 models does not matter if it had air spring or not.
did you think to go to an alignment shop before a body shop,
they will telling if everything is in line as soon as they put the mirrors on,
and they are a lot cheaper than a body shop

Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, either the frame is tweaked or (more likely, and less expensive) that rear axle is toast. Or, the hubs could be REALLY shot. But if it looks like the toe is off the axle is probably bent.