General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help and advice needed

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I have just had the Mrs Freelander in for new Brake disks. The garage informed me that the disk were worn and there had damaged the brakes. I would there fore have to pay for both part on all wheels and labour. The car has done only 23,000 miles.

My concern is, -

1) What is the manufactures recommended mileage on Freelander brake disk?
2) Why didn’t the service department tell me that the current disk may not last until the next service when it was in for the last one?
3) Am I expecting to much for them to tell me this?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, as I am about to pay ÂŁ260.00 for this.

Many thanks,

Charlie

Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Help and advice needed

Ok, what exactly are they saying must be replaced? the pads, the rotors? Relality is that if you run your pads too low to where the metal part of the pads that the brake materal is mounted to rubs the rotor it will damage the surface of the rotor, if only lightly, then they can br turned, if heavily then they must be replaced but other than new pads and at worst new rotors, nothing else would be damaged such as calipers so if they are claiming those are damaged they are trying to play you for a sucker, basically, they charge you for calipers and then don't actually put new ones on and pocket the money. Look on eBay, for one, you can find whole kits with preformance vented rotors and pads for less than they want to charge you

Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

thanks for your note.

What I am looking for is an answer to How many miles should brake pads last for?

Mt gripe is that the service department should have informed me if there wasn’t enough life left in them to get me to my next service.

The pads wore down, and damaged the brake disk’s.

Does anybody know where I can find this information The dealer said they didn’t know.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There is no printed information published by Rover on how long the brakes should last. As with all the manufactures, they don't make estimates cause that would then set them up for liability issues when they wear out sooner as in your case.
Rovers are hard on brakes and if driven hard, especialy in town, you will wear out your pads quickly. I have seen Discos go theu pads in 12 to 14,000 miles.
As for the dealer, did you ask them to inspect the brakes when it was last in the shop and if so how many miles ago?
If you are at all mechanical, I would suggest you install the new parts, it will save you a bundle and is not hard to do.
Mike