General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reliable LR shop in Richmond, VA

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable LR shop in Richmond, VA

Just bought a 2001 Disco II with 86,000 miles. Truck appears to be in good shape, however I am experiencing coolant loss and given what I have read here on the forum it appears that I should plan on replacing the head gaskets. Given that this is something that I should do, begs two questions. Are there any good Land Rover shops in the greater Richmond or Williamsburg VA area? ( I am between Richmond and Williamsburg) The second questions is this. During the time that I was considering this purchase, I read that these trucks are relatively simple to work on. I have ordered the workshop manual, and have some experience building engines in the past. So, is replacing the head gaskets, changing all fluids, and performing all the necessary service to make this the reliable vehicle that every owner loves something that one should attempt at home? From what I have read, it appears that if one bites the bullet and addresses all the issues that are known, (head gaskets, coolant, front drive shaft U joints, and changing all fluids) that you end up with a vehicle that is very reliable and if properly maintained will last a really long time. I would feel a lot better if I knew there was a good shop in the area.

Thanks,
Wayne