General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace slip liner with top hat - don't notice cracked block ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace slip liner with top hat - don't notice cracked block ?

just wondering , if you have a leak in your block that caused your liner to move , could you replace the liner with top hat and not repair your block ? I know you would loose coolant but where would it go if not able to rise out top of liner ? This is assuming that it's small leak that presently is not causing overheating or mixing oil / coolant . Sorry for dumb question but I'm sure it has happened where someone didn't catch the leak in block and just did a head job with top hat on bad liner ? Thanks

Old 09-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

In theory coolant can leak out the bottom of the liner into the oil pan.

it all depends upon what type of liner was used and how it was installed.
if done correctly there should have been a groove cut for an o-ring at the bottom of the flange.

If that is the case the flange should keep the top tight and the o-ring on the bottom should keep the bottom tight.

Last edited by drowssap; 09-23-2015 at 06:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
disco ruff (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 01:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

So you are saying , if done correct no top or bottom leaks correct ? Does this mean you can get away with a cracked block if proper top hats are installed .. The liners would act as a barrier between block and piston ? That would save a huge expense not having to replace or repair block. Do you see disadvantages in this approach ?

I have yet to take my heads off but I had metallic noise on excelleration up hills and on freeway , lose of coolant ( cup/week) cel light, some hard starts mornings , no overheating or mixing but now I have external air leak out side of block . My guess is crack block caused liner to slip then that caused gasket blow . I'm not sure what I'm up against till I pull the heads but I think my theory is correct . Block removal is not an option on my budget but could I put a top hat on that bad cylinder and be okay ? But who knows maybe more than one loose liner under there ? I wish we had good budget mechanics in milwaukee. Should I fold ?( junk it ) or play on and hope for the best ?

Thanks drowssap - buy you a beer if ever in brew town milwaukee wi.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if your going to install sleeves in an aluminum block you have to do them all.
I believe there is just to much heat and movement in an aluminum block.

Ive done one or two on a cast iron block and never had a problem, but aluminum is a different animal.