General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is this rotor shot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes that brake set will do fine, overkill if you ask me.
And I learned something today about the LR3 brake system.
$200 in labor is a fair price if you ask me.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes that brake set will do fine, overkill if you ask me.
And I learned something today about the LR3 brake system.
$200 in labor is a fair price if you ask me.
Well, I'm open to other recommendations. I'd prefer parts that I can source locally, as I'm really hoping to have the work done by Friday.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Keep in mind, that most shops that allow you to source your own parts are also the kind of shops that can botch up a rear brake job.

Shops need to profit on both parts and labor so they can keep the doors open. After all, what is the point in going into business as a repair professional just to break even or possibly not be able to pay the bills?

You wouldn't bring food into Outback Steakhouse and ask them to cook it for you, why would you do the same with parts????

If you think a shop isn't using quality parts or are just simply charging too much, get a second opinion from another shop, or learn to do it yourself. When you learn to do it yourself, you can then supply your own parts.

And yes, that rotor is trash.

Last edited by LR Techniker; 09-16-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
Keep in mind, that most shops that allow you to source your own parts are also the kind of shops that can botch up a rear brake job.

Shops need to profit on both parts and labor so they can keep the doors open. After all, what is the point in going into business as a repair professional just to break even or possibly not be able to pay the bills?

You wouldn't bring food into Outback Steakhouse and ask them to cook it for you, why would you do the same with parts????

If you think a shop isn't using quality parts or are just simply charging too much, get a second opinion from another shop, or learn to do it yourself. When you learn to do it yourself, you can then supply your own parts.

And yes, that rotor is trash.
While I understand that a shop needs to make money, if you are going to charge me $120/hr for labor AND up-charge me on the parts...screw you.
Nothing personal, I dont know you or your shop, not saying anything bad about you or your shop.
Make money off of the labor not the parts, I'm not saying to sell the parts at a discount but to up-charge too? That is not right.
You make tons of money off of preventative maintenance, fine, but again not the parts.
Dont charge me $8 for a qt of trans fluid that you paid $2 for.
Charge me $3 or $4 not full retail and then some.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised to hear this given that I feel I've seen others on the board here suggest (including some in this thread) finding a shop that will let you supply parts.

Do others agree that a shop that will let you supply parts is the sign of a bad shop, or at least one to be wary of?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by green_
I'm surprised to hear this given that I feel I've seen others on the board here suggest (including some in this thread) finding a shop that will let you supply parts.

Do others agree that a shop that will let you supply parts is the sign of a bad shop, or at least one to be wary of?
Let me just state, before I upset the entire community, that my comments were a generalization based on my opinion and not necessarily a "rule of thumb". Take my opinion as you see fit.

I rarely ever let customers bring their own parts in, for installation at my shop. There are many reasons for this, beyond the obvious "greedy money-grabber" aspect.

Of course, I know there is two sides to every story, which is why I also made the comment that if you feel the shop is gouging you, you have every right to get a second opinion and/or take your car elsewhere. I agree that $8 for a $2 bottle of fluid is excessive and a fair pricing matrix would set that at around $3.75 - $4.00.

$120/hr labor? Only the dealer gets away with that! Although some say my labor rate is high, I am no where near 120/hr. People often complain that the things they need done to their car, can only be done at the dealer. In order for independent shops to be able to offer you some of those services (suspension resets/adjustments, ECU software updates, advanced diagnostics, etc...) we have to purchase the equipment to do that. And just like Land Rover parts, that stuff doesn't come cheap. Shops that don't charge properly for labor and do not make a profit on parts, generally can't afford the equipment needed to do the services you beg to not have to go to the dealer for.

I'm not trying to be condescending, trash talking or start any arguments, just trying to present facts and opinions for an open discussion.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

LR Tech I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything like that.
And I totally understand why you dont let people bring in their own parts, liability, wrong parts tying up a bay, etc.

I understand turning a profit, I also work for a small business.
I also understand having to pay for special equipment and training, thats part of the profit angle.
Cost vs benefit. Does the extra business brought in by the special equipment justify the cost of the equipment?

I do understand where you are coming from and I also think you understand where I am coming from.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Spike555
LR Tech I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything like that.
And I totally understand why you dont let people bring in their own parts, liability, wrong parts tying up a bay, etc.

I understand turning a profit, I also work for a small business.
I also understand having to pay for special equipment and training, thats part of the profit angle.
Cost vs benefit. Does the extra business brought in by the special equipment justify the cost of the equipment?

I do understand where you are coming from and I also think you understand where I am coming from.
C'mon give the guy a break. He needs to make his Range Rover payment.
Take your self bought parts down the road to that other shop. They probably need the business so they might one day be able to buy some fancy code readers.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Winching

I originally typed a long winded response in rebuttal to the above comments, but then I decided that this technical forum is not a place to debate business theory and practices. If you have a business question or would like to discuss other non-tech, PM me.

Last edited by LR Techniker; 09-18-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally typed a long winded response in rebuttal to the above comments, but then I decided that this technical forum is not a place to debate business theory and practices. If you have a business question or would like to discuss other non-tech, PM me.
Yeah. Save the B.S. for your clients.

Quick Reply: Is this rotor shot?