General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rough Start When Engine is Hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:28 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Start When Engine is Hot

Hi ALL, My baby, a '96 Discovery has a rough time starting after use on a hot day. I'll be the Discovery in the parking lot with the hood propped up when stopped, to let the engine heat out. Yes, it's embarrassing, but simple fix that works.

We put in a new fuel temp sensor, but it's still a hard start when engine is hot on a hot day. We live in central Pennsylvania, summers can get hot and steamy. Seems like not getting fuel. When I turn the ignition, sort of sputters and if I feather the gas pedal, very carefully, it just might take.

On a cooler day, everything is fine. I tell hubby I've got a Rover that likes damp English weather! Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Grab one of your kids squirt guns and carry it with you.
Next time it happens open the hood and looking at the engine find the 3o'clock position on the back of the engine.
Look hard and you should see a sensor sticking out of the back of the engine, it will be small and have a wire harness attached to it.
Soak it with the squirt gun, then try to start the engine.
Does it start?
This is what it looks like.
Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information

Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
4wd High

Thanks for the advice Spike! I will surely give this a try. I hope this will solve the problem and a replaced sensor will do the trick. I will keep you posted.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Give us lots more information. How many miles on the engine, when was it last tuned along with new 8 mm silicone plug wires and a fuel filter.
Describe what you mean by hard to start, does the engine turn over at it's normal speed, does it try to start up or just crank?
The heat you get should not be considered to be a factor in your engine starting, if all is working as designed. I have spent many weeks in Death Valley where it does get hot and had no issues. Yes the engine compartment gets hotter then hell, but you should fire right up.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:23 PM
4wd High

Hi Mike, My Discovery has 77,000 miles on it. Yes, original plug wires, but fuel filter was changed in last 3000 miles. It turns over at normal speed, but acts like it's starving for fuel. Like I said, when engine is allowed to cool off long enough or propping the hood......starting is fine. Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Crank sensor.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
4wd High

Thank you both for your replies and help! You both seem to think the crank sensor is my problem. Is this a difficult part to replace? And another question, Spike sent along a link to Atlantic British, which I am familiar with, having bought parts from them in the past......there is the sensor for a manual transmission, which mine is not and one for a "GEMS" engine. Dumb blonde here, what's a GEMS engine? : )

Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

GEMS is the engine you have.
General Engine Management System, in other words a really stupidly simple uncomplicated computer system that controls the engine, it is literally only 2 steps removed from having a carburetor.
Pre-'96 is only 1 step removed.
With no signal from the crank sensor while cranking the engine over the fuel pump will not come on.
When the crank sensor gets heat soaked it acts up, cools off, works fine.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 AM
4wd High

Thanks Spike! I did look at the tech tips at Atlantic British and found the different engine types, Bosch and GEMS. Hubby found where the sensor is, so it will get replaced. Thanks for your help. Wouldn't know where to begin without help from the forum!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM
4wd High

New sensor has arrived from Atlantic British. Hopefully tomorrow hubby will get in it and my problem solved! Thanks again for your much needed help!

Quick Reply: Rough Start When Engine is Hot